Sunbird Z24 Engine swap progress! - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sunbird Z24 Engine swap progress!
Sunday, January 29, 2006 11:40 PM
Day 1 was a feeler, since it was freakin cold and windy all damn day!

After the end of the day, I had removed all the electrical connections, the airbox, and the exhaust manifold is currently only held on by 2 bolts on the block, and the coolant is completely drained and hoses disconnected from the rad. All mounts (except the rear motor) have been loosened.

Plans for tomorrow is to remove the exhaust manifold and downpipe, pull the ECM wiring out, drain the oil and pull the motor out of the car!

All the coolant pouring into the street after I loosened it and walked away (it missed the bucket )

All this took 3 hours, and since I was up the whole night researching everything (not even a minute of sleep, it sucked...was 5:30 before I knew it!), I caught a quick 3 hours of sleep and Im feelin much better afterward!

Re: Sunbird Z24 Engine swap progress!
Monday, January 30, 2006 5:41 AM
hehe nice puddle dave

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Monday, January 30, 2006 11:09 AM
Man I just looked at the car for the first time in about 20 hours...the front end sits soo much higher without the weight of fluids and battery! Looks like its cruisin down the street!
Monday, January 30, 2006 5:01 PM
Day 2 unfortunately was painfully slow...first thing I did was remove the rad hoses, and ended up smashing my pinky finger on an engine mount fighting with the lower rad hose...

Tell me, is it bad if I can spin off the bolts holding the engine and tranny together with just my hands? Because I have! :shock: :shock:

Okay, so here is everything Ive pulled off so far:

My engine bay as it is now-ish. Got the rest of the electrical and vacuum seperated from the motor, so its just the fuel llines now:

The computer removed::

Monday, January 30, 2006 5:09 PM
Your doing this swap in the street?

If so DAMN!

Monday, January 30, 2006 5:25 PM
Yeah, my parents wont let me use the driveway in case something goes wrong and the car is crippled
Monday, January 30, 2006 6:38 PM
So far so good. What if something goes wrong and for some reason your car rolls down the street lol. Tell your parents that.

Monday, January 30, 2006 7:47 PM
A quick photo I took tonight of what the engine looks like now that I got the rest of that harness out of the dashboard...

The blackened exhaust outlet has me worried...Im thinkin either that was the bad cylinder from the head gasket going, but I also found a small puddle of oil sitting on the block seeping out of the area right next to cylinder 4...
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 9:44 AM
your doing this on the street in front of your house? Have fun.

Whats a Cavalier?
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 10:22 AM
Haha now that's ghetto! To keep the car from rolling, you should put it on cinder blocks! That would complete the picture!!

I know how it feels to do work in the street, I had the same problem at my house before we moved...lets just say it was a high-traffic area...

...anyways, can't wait to see you drop the new motor in, good luck pulling that hunk out of there.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 11:17 AM
Yeah Im putting off getting under the car to take off the downpipe because I just know I'll roll out in front of a minivan

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:20 PM
Hahaha cinder blocks ... just to complete that white trash image. If thats the case, you should have done the swap on the front lawn instead of the street.

Monday, February 06, 2006 3:40 PM
Wow, its been a whole week since I last got to work on the car, damn! Well, I got as far as I could by myself today! I pulled off the driver side wheel to make sure I had all the bolts holding the motor and tranny together, and it looks like I got all 3!

so then I looked a bit further down, and discovered more worrysome issues with the car. This is how I found the dog bone mount:

So, anyway, I worked on all that was left, the two motor mounts. So I loosed one of the bolts on the front mount ( other was also missing!)

And I managed to remove two of the rear motor mount bolts (1 remaining, but loosened as well)

So all that is left now is to drain the oil and remove the filter, attach the hoist, and get those last two bolts the hell outta here!!
Monday, February 06, 2006 11:22 PM
get that thing outta there and put the new heart in! it's been way too long mang

2004 Nissan Maxima SE w/ Elite Pkg
2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe w/ Sport Pkg
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 12:48 AM
Just a heads up, by taking ou teh radiator and fully removing all of the engine mounts from the engine bay you can take out and put in a 2.0 engine fully assembled WITH the transmission. Of course the intake anf exhaust manifolds can't be on it.. but you get the drift.

Cardomain|Myspace

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 10:05 AM
Yeah, but Im gonna hold off on the tranny because Im doing this in the street, and I dont want a ticket for having a disabled vehicle on the street.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 6:14 PM
Day 4 was huge! All the mounts are out, all the hoses disconnected (save for 1 going to the brake booster im workin on) and the only thing holding the motor in place is the hoist! The motor would be out now, but it is caught up on something inside the transmission. Its either the driveshaft/clutch or there is an odd shape on the side of the block bulging out into the bellhousing...

Anywho, on to the pics!

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 6:23 PM
did you seriously leave it there overnight??? you are pullin it out... but what if someone swipes it... probably could get a couple hundred...

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 6:25 PM
SunbirdZ24 looks lik your HG whent the same place mine did^^ good luck and cant wait to see that V6.
P.S. i did my headgasket in my front yard.

TURBO4DOOR....comming soon to a street near you!!!

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 6:41 PM
LOL. Yeah, it cracked on the back side of cylinder 3...found that yesterday....

It is still out there, but Im keepin an eye on it tonight...

Sunday, February 12, 2006 8:48 PM
This swap looks good that will be me in a couple of days. LOL but for me iam putting a 2.2 in place of the 2.0.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:03 PM
Why a 2.2? There is no real improvement in any aspect....might as well fully upgrade to a 2.8, 3.1 or 3400...

Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:08 PM
IDK i still want to keep a 4 banger in it dont ask y but i do and getting parts and stuff for a 2.0 sucks and i can get a 2.2 for almost nothing and all the aftermarket support there is for a 2.2 and none for a 2.0.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:00 PM
I have a sunbird with a 3.1 v6 in it and man what power compared to the 2.0L wich i have owned as well and the 3.1 can haul some nice ass. but does anyone know where u can get parts for a 3.1 like performance parts i mean i'm having trouble finding them.
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 6:34 PM
If you're going 2.2 for the parts, why not go 2.4L or Eco to get some more power? Their parts are still relatively cheap.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search