Got Detonation? - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Got Detonation?
Saturday, October 22, 2005 3:12 PM
what a 55 shot of dry n2o did to my engine: 2 pistons chunked, block cracked.

Re: Got Detonation?
Saturday, October 22, 2005 3:48 PM
Poor little eco

15.71 @ 87.9mph 9-17-05
Saturday, October 22, 2005 4:09 PM
another fatality of an eco to nitrous.. go boost LOL

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Saturday, October 22, 2005 5:30 PM
Damn thats weird, did that happen because it was a dry shot?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Saturday, October 22, 2005 6:12 PM
been there, done that!!!!

simple minds talk about other people.
average minds talk about events.
great minds discuss ideas
Saturday, October 22, 2005 6:13 PM
hmm. looks about right.
sorry it happened man.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Saturday, October 22, 2005 7:15 PM
wow!!! im not sure what is up with the ecotec, ive had 2 guys blow them up in the past few months, i thought the eco was supposed to be a "strong" motor basically designed for modding ? I was running a 75 dry shot of nitrous on my 2.4 for about 20 bottles, i tore it down and it looked perfect, now im running 10.5psi with a 50 dry shot, although now i do have forged rods. Sorry to see that man i'd be pissed, but then again when you wanna go faster sometimes you gotta pay to play

607 Motorsports is your one stop performance and car specialties shop, we can do anything your imagination holds. Check us out at www.cardomain.com/id/jimmyc99z24
Saturday, October 22, 2005 7:38 PM
apparently the ecotec hates nitrous, from what I have seen there have been many many fatalities with ecotecs on nitrous and about 1/12th on boost, boost I know of 2...

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

607 Motorsports
Saturday, October 22, 2005 9:49 PM
Hey, I live in the 607 area code (Binghamton area) I have a 97 z24. Cold air intake and exhaust. I am planning to do a lot of mods this winter but don't know where to start. I need more power. There is a guy around here with an SRT-4 I have tried to race a couple times. Everytime I try to race him, he leaves me like I am standing still. I would love to beat this guy. I have about 5K to spend. Could you guys at 607 motorsports work on my car. What work have you done in the past? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Re: 607 Motorsports
Saturday, October 22, 2005 11:45 PM
Thats werid dude, i ran a dry 75 show for a few months and had no problims.When we put the new head on, everythign was looking fine, Dont wana curse me now but sorry to hear that man~

Sunday, October 23, 2005 1:18 AM
damn......

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Sunday, October 23, 2005 9:16 AM
and the moral of the story is: don't spray dry, its just that simple

if you were on a wet shot you wouldn't have your problem right now.

But congratulations, you're one of the few people capable of blowing up the eco its definetly an achievement =)

now put that thing back together and get a turbo on her!

Sunday, October 23, 2005 9:30 AM
werd squirrel

It is beyond me why people use a dry shot, many have run 75 shot wet with no problem at all on the eco, its a matter of tuning not the motor, blowing up my eco is not on my list of to-dos

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, October 23, 2005 10:09 AM
damn ecotecs....go 2.4

Got Detonation?
Monday, October 24, 2005 8:05 AM
im thinking that the fuel i used was junk. i put in 93 but around here theres no state mandated testing of gas stations holding tanks so theres no guarantee what you are putting into the tank. i had been running n2o for a while with no problems. definitely not a n00b to nitrous. and i have never heard of anyone with any car detonating on a 55 shot with 93 and TR6 plugs...

anyscrew... i already have swapped the engine and got the car running again. i just didnt have enough time to post since i was busy working on the car. i couldnt leave it sit as its my daily driver. in a couple months i will have a better paying job so boost might be a possibility

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 9:28 AM
yup. it was bad fuel. so actually it would have happened with a wet kit. damned FlyingJ gas

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 4:55 PM
i only use a dry kit because im running it with the gm s/c before the s/c i was wet as well, i agree if your gonna do nitrous pay the extra and get a wet kit as well as making sure your ready for the juice.

607 Motorsports is your one stop performance and car specialties shop, we can do anything your imagination holds. Check us out at www.cardomain.com/id/jimmyc99z24
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 5:39 PM
you ass jockeys beat me to it. Yeah the dry shot would destroy an eco at 55 with out fuel upgrades there are ways to spray nos safely but his reg didnt have nitrous in it. (unless he sprayed through his red HVAC knobs.) if was straight dry then this was an open and shut case!!!

Im a level 32 joedm newb flamer.
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 8:11 AM
since when has any j-body needed fuel mods for a dry n2o kit running 55 or less. i upped the fuel pressure. thats it. i could understand if it went on a 75 shot dry with no additional fuel source, but c'mon. we have run 2200s and 2.4s on dry 55 shots all day long on stock motors and stock fuel systems.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 5:31 PM
Hell I ran a 75(dry) on my 99 2.2L rs. I ran countless bottles thru it. It took em like a champ.

I don't need a damn sig.
Thursday, October 27, 2005 12:57 PM
Its possiable but you make it much easir for the block to kill it self. if it leans out.

Im a level 32 joedm newb flamer.

Saturday, October 29, 2005 9:39 AM
i definitely agree that wet is the safer / better way, but 55 dry shot is relatively safe. and reading the spark plugs told me that i wasnt running lean. they looked perfect. lil carbon, not discolored. just my bad luck i guess.

Saturday, October 29, 2005 10:46 AM
what would a safe dry shot be on a 2.4 gm s/c with built pistons and rods and cams, im running 40 shot and people tell me thats enough, i think its deffinatly not.

Saturday, October 29, 2005 10:51 AM
i went through 340 lbs of nitrous in less then a year on a 75 and a 100 shot --- go wet

Saturday, October 29, 2005 8:06 PM
Try running high test with N20, it helps.

And BTW that sucks monkey-ballz!!!!!!

1971 camaro 427 --- here!

Stock... and loving every minute of it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search