Power Window Question HELP!!!!!! - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Power Window Question HELP!!!!!!
Saturday, September 27, 2008 7:55 AM
Okay, well the passenger side window in my vert is going, and i need help. Are the window motors in the sedans, coupes, and verts different or are they interchangable?? I found one HERE, (first one on the page) and it says it will fit all models, but no mention of a vert, so will it work???? Thanks in advance guys, I really appreciate it!

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter

Re: Power Window Question HELP!!!!!!
Saturday, September 27, 2008 10:17 AM
the motor themselves should be the same. It would be the regulators(scissor part) that would be different between sedans and coupes/convertibles. Make sure you know what you're getting into if your just replacing the motor itself, and not the entire regulator.
Saturday, September 27, 2008 11:24 AM
thanks. i realized the regulators were different, but i don't think thats whats bad. And since the driver's side works fine, and i was able to get the passenger side up, i know its not the switch. so my dad and i narrowed it down to the motor. thanks again.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 6:49 PM
prepare, because if your luck is anything like mine, regulator and motor are gone. Also, are you sure the switch isnt the problem?? my switch went too lol
Saturday, September 27, 2008 10:01 PM
well we got it working going up/down for now, and a brand new motor on the way. and yeah, the switch seems fine. the drivers side still goes up/down without a hitch, so i would think if it was the switch, neither window would work.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:27 PM
The motor link you provided is for the motor only. But be prepared for a fair amount of work as the motors are riveted to the regulators, which are riveted to the doors. (Some motor kits come with replacement rivets, others don't.) Be careful when you drill out the rivets that you don't enlarge the holes in the door or regulator. Also, the armrest support is riveted to the door too and has to come off before you can get the regulator off. Try to save the water dam plastic too. Working on the doors of the convertibles can be frustrating as they're large and heavy, as is the window glass, and many of the parts are proprietary (meaning: scarce and expensive). Pay attention to the upper and lower window travel limiters on reassembly. (A service manual is very handy.) Good luck!

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:44 PM
Mark Cataldo wrote:The motor link you provided is for the motor only. But be prepared for a fair amount of work as the motors are riveted to the regulators, which are riveted to the doors. (Some motor kits come with replacement rivets, others don't.) Be careful when you drill out the rivets that you don't enlarge the holes in the door or regulator. Also, the armrest support is riveted to the door too and has to come off before you can get the regulator off. Try to save the water dam plastic too. Working on the doors of the convertibles can be frustrating as they're large and heavy, as is the window glass, and many of the parts are proprietary (meaning: scarce and expensive). Pay attention to the upper and lower window travel limiters on reassembly. (A service manual is very handy.) Good luck!

this is what I was talking about. everythings riveted in place, and they're something like 1/4" rivets, some pop rivet kit wont do the trick. As well, when you remove the rivets holding the motor to the regulator, the clockspring on the regulator will be released and could cost you a finger. I think you have to do something like drill a hole through the two regulator arms to keep them in place.
Wednesday, October 08, 2008 10:32 AM
Mr. Dirtbag wrote:As well, when you remove the rivets holding the motor to the regulator, the clockspring on the regulator will be released and could cost you a finger. I think you have to do something like drill a hole through the two regulator arms to keep them in place.

What you are referring to is locking the spring tension in place while replacing the motor. It is done as follows:

Once you get the regulator out the car, BEFORE you remove the motor, you drill a 1/4" hole hole through the plate it is secured to and through the outer curve of the sector gear (show in diagram below). You then install a #10 bolt through that hole and secure it with a nut and washer. By locking the gear and plate together you are holding the "clock spring" tension in place while you remove and replace the motor. After you have done that, you remove the bolt.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search