Fog light switch wires - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fog light switch wires
Monday, September 22, 2008 5:19 PM
Hey guys,
I am wiring up aftermarket fog lights on my 2000 Z24, I have everything set up fine except for one problem. I want to use the stock fog light switch so that I don’t have some ugly crapy aftermarket switch hanging off my dash, but I don’t know what wires are what. I have a hanes manual with the schematics but the wire colors are wrong. My switch shows A: Orange B: Black Curple wires. I hooked up the crapy aftermarket switch and it worked fine, but I don’t want to use that one. Thanks for any help.

Re: Fog light switch wires
Monday, September 22, 2008 5:48 PM
are you replacing the stock fogs or adding more? if your replacing the stock ones just cut and splice the new new wires into the old ones. If your adding more lights take a wire for the positive of one stock fog (just tap into it so the wire also has power when the lights are on) and connect it to the coil of the relay that came with the aftermarket lights. Connect the other side of the coil to ground. This way the stock switch will turn on both sets of lights with out overloading the stock switch and fuse and you can toss the crappy switch that came with the lights.

EDIT: To answer the original question it think on the 2000+ J's the fog switch sent a signal to the computer which then turned on the fogs. So splicing into the switch won't work

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 22, 2008 5:50 PM

Monday, September 22, 2008 6:18 PM
I am replacing the stock ones, but i also don't want to use the original wiring setup for two reasons. 1 i don't want the high beams to cut off my fog lights(i know there is a mod for that, but i would rather just bypass it) 2 there is a problem with the original wiring that keeps blowing the bulbs. I just want to use the original switch independently of the original fog light wiring. Thanks for the help
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 5:31 PM
If your using an aftermarket relay setup, find a switch from a 95-99. It will work like a regular toggle switch instead of the way the 2000+ ones work (through the BCM) and will look stock. Thats the way i wired mine when i added a z24 bumper to my 4 door cav.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:40 PM
White 4 Doors. What did you run each color wire on the switch to?

If it can't drag, it ain't low enough!
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:26 PM
Thanks, I think i'll try that this weekend. appreciate the help!
Friday, October 03, 2008 5:10 PM
if i wasnt so lazy id get pics for you of what i did

Friday, October 03, 2008 5:17 PM
so i got not lazy.., you probably have this figured out already but here it goes.

Saturday, October 04, 2008 8:48 AM
Blk - Ground
Yellow - Lamp/Switch tied to Inst LPS Fuse
Yellow/Blk - Foglamp Coil

I got the above from this post...

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=4&i=122866&t=122792#122866

...and the 95-99 Z switch has been working with my Hella 1300's for about a year now.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search