Welcome To My Project - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Welcome To My Project
Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:53 PM
Hi, I'm fairly new to this, but wow is modding ever addictive.. My project is for my 99 sunfire gt. after reading quite a bit about vinyl dyes and painting and interior mods, I've decided to change up my color scheme.

I've been thinking of doing white, with blue accents. Now, I've been reading quite a bit, but still need to get a 'pros' opinion on which dye (brand) to use for vinyl, fabric, plastic. Lots of diff peeps are using diff and I just wanna know what I should get. Money isn't toooo tight, i don't wanna break the bank, but i don't want crap either. I want to do it myself the right way, the first time so any tips for a new comer are welcome.

Tips for fabric, Vinyl, plastic paints brand names\ ideas.

Gonna paint/dye the interior excluding the seats, rear seats, floor carpet. Gonna go the upholstery way with that stuff i think.

Gauges will be white, with blue glow, same with HVAC white face, with blue glow knobs. Also I think I will put a blue glow into the vents..

I have so many ideas in my head right now from reading about all your guys cars and this is such an awesome community, I would like to be apart of it.

Ok so save the laughter for the end, i know these look funny but its just a very rough idea on what to accent and what not too, plus any tips would be awesome!

I already know the 'dashkit' looks like $$@% so you can save comments on that pls, its coming off oh my day off...i decided to do it right

Ok so more ideas came to me the other day, Can I airbrush flames(whitehot emblem with blue +white flames) ontop of the first layer of paint on the main part of the dash(coming out the 2 center vents)? then clear coat over that? not sure if u can airbrush on that stuff or not, my landlady is a artist by trade so that would be awesome cuz i could get her to paint me something sick!

also, can i put the first layer(blue), then a vinyl (Tribal design) and paint the main (white) then pull of the vynil (leaving a blue tribal design) and then clear coat? or with the vinyl take the first layer off when it come off? Guess it depends on how sticky the vinyl would be?

Any way Thats my start so far, so comments, tips are all welcome as I'm a noob to modding.

p.s. anything I should know about dyeing/painting with WHITE?

Thx for reading this

Re: Welcome To My Project
Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:00 PM
Dude......NO. Stick with the stock charcoal. You'll hate yourself for painting it all white and blue. Leave it STOCK!!!!!!!

Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:02 PM
looks like a damn smurf blew up.

save your money for other mods. do something useful and something you will appreciate down the road.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:10 PM
omg ROLF you are hilarious

I do want to do other mods, ei-lambo doors,suspension,body kits, rims-rubber but i didn't think i could post all my ideas in the interior forum....
Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:36 PM
Personally, if money is not a huge issue, I would seriously consider wrapping as much as you can rather than painting. It won't be a lot more expensive. You can pick yourself up some blue and white marine vinyl from Joanne Fabrics, and some 3M Vinyl Roof adhesive from most auto supply stores. If the blue at Joanne doesn't match what you're looking for, try some upholstery shops. Most of them will have catalogs they can order from, and there are thousands of options. IMO, it will look much better done that way. There will obviously be some parts that you will have to paint, but it should be minimal.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:41 PM
the color on the pic isn't exactly what i want, more of a metallic darker blue color not so smurfish haha..

so what does it take to wrap it? might you have a link? how much $$?
Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:01 PM
IMO I recommend not painting alot of it white. it shows off scratches really easily and also gets dirty real fast.
Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:10 PM
I think it sounds like a neat idea, but definitely not something you want to be doing on your daily. People generally only go that far on cars they strictly show. You will hate yourself everyday for doing something like that to your interior. Just my .02c
Friday, September 19, 2008 3:13 AM
look like @!#$ honestly. the glare your gonna get driving your car in the day off the dash is going to be a paint in the ass. not to mention pulling all the little pieces on the dash to make them blue looks tacky and cheap.

Friday, September 19, 2008 5:25 AM
1 HOT Z (Mark A) wrote:Dude......NO. Stick with the stock charcoal. You'll hate yourself for painting it all white and blue. Leave it STOCK!!!!!!!

x2 Take it from someone that had parts painted white and blue. After a while you'll hate it, and want it back stock.

Friday, September 19, 2008 5:54 AM
1 HOT Z (Mark A) wrote:Dude......NO. Stick with the stock charcoal. You'll hate yourself for painting it all white and blue. Leave it STOCK!!!!!!!

Quiklilcav wrote:Personally, if money is not a huge issue, I would seriously consider wrapping as much as you can rather than painting. It won't be a lot more expensive. You can pick yourself up some blue and white marine vinyl from Joanne Fabrics, and some 3M Vinyl Roof adhesive from most auto supply stores. If the blue at Joanne doesn't match what you're looking for, try some upholstery shops. Most of them will have catalogs they can order from, and there are thousands of options. IMO, it will look much better done that way. There will obviously be some parts that you will have to paint, but it should be minimal.

chris b wrote:IMO I recommend not painting alot of it white. it shows off scratches really easily and also gets dirty real fast.

Thats the best advice here.

Painting things white is bad mojo. Dyeing, instead of re-upholstering you will not be as happy with, and it will look worse.

Personally I like the stock charcoal look, BUT if you are dead set on getting something like this.....I would recomend taking the time to hunt down one of the rare factory blue interiors.....youll be MUCH happier, and it will wear SOOO much better.

Friday, September 19, 2008 10:11 AM
Rob Berry wrote:the color on the pic isn't exactly what i want, more of a metallic darker blue color not so smurfish haha..

so what does it take to wrap it? might you have a link? how much $$?

Really it's not hard to wrap your parts, but it takes patience, and depending on the material's flexibility, sometimes a hair dryer for some heat to let the vinyl flex a little more. Get yourself some clamps of some sort to hold the edges. A package or two of the large document clips from an office supply store will work. The vinyl can be had for anywhere between $6 and $20 per yard. I think the marine vinyl I mentioned is like $8 per yard, and it's like 48" wide. The adhesive is like $6-8 per can IIRC. You'll need anywhere from 2-4 cans for the whole interior, depending on how much you cover, and how you use it. I recommend following the directions on the can for permanent bond to a T. It will be much easier to work with, and hold much better.

Friday, September 19, 2008 7:43 PM
It sounds like you have no idea how to do any of this.

Prove me wrong?

Friday, September 19, 2008 8:54 PM
Rob Berry wrote: Can I airbrush flames(whitehot emblem with blue +white flames) ontop of the first layer of paint on the main part of the dash(coming out the 2 center vents)? then clear coat over that? not sure if u can airbrush on that stuff or not, my landlady is a artist by trade so that would be awesome cuz i could get her to paint me something sick!

I'd be careful doing any kind of delicate airbrush work over a spraycan vinyl paintjob, I do some airbrushing myself and the supplies aren't cheap (certainly not compared to the vinyl paint)......if you do decide to do it, make sure you have a Good amount of the vinyl paint on and that it adheres well...nothing worse than putting a load of work into something and having it mess up at the very last step.

Friday, September 19, 2008 8:58 PM
bradsk88 wrote:It sounds like you have no idea how to do any of this.

Prove me wrong?

everyone has to start somewhere, we all had a "first" project back when

Friday, September 19, 2008 9:01 PM
My first project was painting a dash besel. Your first project is buttraping an entire interior.

Everyone has to START somewhere. I think you skipped that part.
I'm not usually so aggressive, but I only see bad things arising from this. Take it ONE step at a time.

Saturday, September 20, 2008 4:57 AM
Well thank you guys for all the replys!!!!

This is why I love this site! So much knowledge to be had!

I have taken into consideration what many of you have said and have decided not to dye it. I cleaned up my interior today, ripped off that ugly dash kit, and cleaned it with some 'mothers' and now its perdy. The dash is still in good shape so I'll leave well enough alone.

I will however try to do some tasteful accents with real vinyl/ fake leather with the door, shift boot, and steering wheel. Also I think I will accent the vents cuz I think that would look good with what I'm trying to accomplish. As well as the new gauge face/HVAC face.

This is my Daily like I said, and your right Trevor its not a show car, and won't ever be.

Quiklilcav your awesome, I'm gonna need you later on for your expertise!!

oh and btw bradsk its easy to sound like an a$$, maybe put a lil effort in to help people around you. If you know things/or notice things I might be doing wrong pls help me, as I said I'm a noob, just tryin to find my way.

So stay tunned, I'll post some more funny lookin pics up with the new layout!!

Thanks again everyone!!! Go J-BODY!!!!!!!!!!
Saturday, September 20, 2008 8:21 AM
i probably wouldnt paint the vents. your cars a daily driver so you probably drive it in winter. when you have paint on your vents and using your heater it will start to bubble up the paint and make it look like @!#$! Trust me I painted my upper vent sometime back turned out I had to buy a new one. The heat jacked it up. if you do paint it use High heat engine paint I heard that stuff works but I never tried it good luck.
Saturday, September 20, 2008 2:45 PM
Yea..good point I do live in Alberta Canada, and actually they say that this winter will be the coldest in a while, so my heat will be on steady.

Thx for the heads up!
Saturday, September 20, 2008 8:13 PM
or if you do paint them take them out in winter time and leave them out or buy an extra set just for winter or something.
Saturday, September 20, 2008 10:15 PM
Mmmm I know many people have a lot fo experience but man if you want to do something and its ur car do it. I painted part of my dash white, some people love it, some hate it. But I had fun doing it and thats what I was looking for. Maybe you will need to buy the dash again when u get tired of the white accents, maybe you will remove the paint or maybe you will leave it with the white accents. But u know what? if you never do it u will never know if u liked it or not.´

I definitely agree not to do everything at once but take the first step. If you hate it then stop there and replace... Many people have criticized me for painting part of my dash and for having my seats done in leather, but I have had fun doing it which is what I was looking for. Everyone is different. some like bodykits (too expensive for me), some like turbos (more than too expensive for me) some like @!#$ty accents lol (me)

Just my 2 cents.

And once again, great community and its great everyone can give an opinion and share experiences!

Anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac...

Sunday, September 21, 2008 12:20 AM
You hit the nail right on the head Usher. I'm into modding cuz its so much fun!

I have the option if I really wanted I could go out buy a new car and have car payments for the next 5 years... orrrrrrrr I could spend a lil cash, have some fun and make somthing that is (in my opinion) *better* then a new car and personalized to me and blow the doors off that new car I *woulda* bought.

But on the other hand, I'm a noob and I don't know what works and what doesn't. I think the idea of a white dash sounds good in theroy, but like you guys said:

1. It shows dirt real easy
2. it would blind me in the sun
3. Bad mojo!!!
Sunday, September 21, 2008 8:39 PM
i have my air bag cover white its a decent glare
Monday, September 22, 2008 10:07 AM
chris b wrote:i probably wouldnt paint the vents. your cars a daily driver so you probably drive it in winter. when you have paint on your vents and using your heater it will start to bubble up the paint and make it look like @!#$! Trust me I painted my upper vent sometime back turned out I had to buy a new one. The heat jacked it up. if you do paint it use High heat engine paint I heard that stuff works but I never tried it good luck.

properly painted this wont be a problem, sounds like in yourinstance it probably wasn't cleaned well enough and the cleaners underneath caused the paint to bubble. there is no need for high temp paint on just the vents.

id suggest leaving the vents to match the dash myself. that was popular several years back but now just gives the car a dated look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search