I have a problem.... - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I have a problem....
Monday, September 15, 2008 1:05 PM
I recently had my windows tinted by one of the best in the mid-west BUT......

I noticed an "arrowhead" coming up from the bottom of my window so I called him. Unfortunately, I was told that he had a heart attack WHILE tinting my windows and he has now passed away, reasons are unclear at this point, but they have offered a refund but honestly, I have known this gentlemen for many years and his wife is not doing so well right now. as a long time friend of mine, accepting the refund really is not an option. I am sure this is an easy fix but does anyone know how tint is put on?
I was told some water and a blow dryer, is that true. I will do this myself. I was told it just needs to shrink a little bit more.

I was a little surprised at having this problem because he has tinted EVERY car I have ever owned and I have sent at least 10 people to him, all VERY happy!

R.I.P Marvin!! You will be missed!

Re: I have a problem....
Monday, September 15, 2008 9:22 PM
wow that is crazy. ...but yeah i tinted my windows myself once and its pretty easy for the pass. and drivers windows the rear window is whats hard. just go out and buy a tinting kit it will come with a squeegy. Use soap/water in a spray bottle make sure to keep the tint wet and squeegy out the air bubbles. the blow dryer or heat gun is used to shrink the tint itself and make it adhere to the window.
if its a small air bubble you have wait for awhile and see if it disappears.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:01 AM
well thats a horrid chain of events.

BUT, yes a heat gun and some soapy water and squeegy is what you ll need.

if the family is offering a refund, I would decline it, if it were a 3rd party shop that he was tinting through, I would take it.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:11 AM
how long has it been tinted for? typically you have to wait about 10 days to see if the bubbles come out. most of the time they do. i had a pretty decent size bubble on my windshield and after 5-6 days it went away.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:31 AM
sounds like this is more than a bubble, sounds like a finger.....

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:36 AM
John Benham wrote:sounds like this is more than a bubble, sounds like a finger.....

well he only says arrowhead, could be any size really. the bubble in my windshield was about the size of half a dime. after 3 days you couldnt notice it on the inside then about 3 days later you couldnt notice it on the outside. its been about a month now and you cant see anything, looks perfect.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:43 AM
They have been tinted about a month or better.

They come up from the window seal about an inch or two and they are about 1/4in-1/8th inch wide.

I can rub it down with my finger and it will go away for awhile but it returns. I am sure it just needs to be shrunk some.

Marvin only used LLUMAR tint so I know quality is not the problem.

I tried to take a pic but it simply would not turn out.

Thanks for all your help and ideas everyone!
Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:44 AM
I used to tint all the time and cav's were my least favorite. coupes at least. the only car that i had to use a heat gu on the side windows. a hair dryer isnt going to do anything for you. if you really dont want the finger coming back, then take off the door panel and just squeegie it. without the rubber strip in the way, chances are you wont need the heat gun, it should just stick.
Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:56 AM
Ya, that's kind of what I was thinking.
I didn't think a blow dryer would work either. I will certainly be taking the door panel off anyway. I want to make sure its done right so I don't see it again.
It's and eyesore in my opinion.
Friday, September 19, 2008 8:19 PM
if its that big a concern just have another shop do it. one window shouldn't cost you that much. most shops around me have lifetime warrantees on their tint jobs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search