cluster swap question? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cluster swap question?
Friday, August 18, 2006 8:53 PM
i tried searching but couldn't find this particular question. alrite i have a 99 cavalier with no tach and the digital odometer. i might be getting a 98 with tach but it has an analog odometer. can i swap it in or not? and will it function correctly and no give my car problems if i do? any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!

Re: cluster swap question?
Saturday, August 19, 2006 5:56 AM
Yeah, you can, just the mileage will be wrong.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, August 19, 2006 6:22 AM
you cant swap the digital odo out? just this week i took apart my cluster with a replacement one to fix my gas guage and i was able to just switch the analog odometer cuz it just had 4 small bolts and a connector.. now a 95-99 doesnt have a BCM correct? so is the mileage stored in the mechanism?
Heres what the analog odometer/trip setup look like..

Also make sure u get the correct tranny type.. i have a 4spd and the first set i got was a 3spd.. this caused it to blow out my left headlight fuse, and my bright indicator to be on constantly unless my headlights were on and i didnt have brights on..

Also dont mean to jack ur thread but i figured i'd ask in here instead of makin another new post about it..

i dunno if anyone knows if this is normal or not.. but i swapped guages and now my ABS,ETS off, and Air bag light are on.. the ETS and airbag light were always on but my abs never was.. so i dont know if maybe swapping the guages caused that? i need to find out how much itd cost for the dealer to check it.. hopefully it just needs to be turned off or something but it doesnt seem to have effected my brakin any..

Saturday, August 19, 2006 9:09 AM
i know you can just pull the odometers off on the analog ones and switch them, but i wasn't sure if you could with the digital and if things would still work correctly.

also its a 4 speed one and i have a 3 speed, so it won't work without problems then it looks like.

What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Saturday, August 19, 2006 9:16 AM
hey stephen, i just found this on ny-jbodies.

Quote:

If you put a 95 cluster in a 96-97 the DRL's won't work and it'll do weird stuff to the headlights

so that shouldn't be a problem with me. all i need to know now is if i put in a cluster with analog odometer if it'll work right since i have digital right now. or can i pull the odometers and swap them and it'll work right.

SO EVERYTHING!
Saturday, August 19, 2006 9:36 AM
yeah just look a little longer for the right thing. if you give me $40 i can go get you the exact one you need. i just got a sunfire cluster yesterday....with the 4 speed auto and digital odo so it will swap right in, just be patient and make sure you get the right thing.

but like i said, you give me the $40 they cost, and some shipping money...i can go see if they have the exact one you need, because they have about 25 cavaliers, and like 20 sunfires.

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Saturday, August 19, 2006 11:50 AM
well maybe i did get a 95 cluster.. i dont know the yr exactly of the first one i got.. but it acted weird with blowing fuses and all.. The second time i made sure to get a 4spd, 96 Z24 just to make sure to avoid any problems lmao.. they were free here.. but its cuz i get so much off them every month.. But i agree with brian.. find the right one..

Sunday, August 20, 2006 9:19 AM
well i got a 3 speed with the tach out of a 98 yesterday for dirt cheap ($30 for that, rear deck lid, top dash pad, & all the vents). but i still need to know, can I either A) swap the odometers (mines digital, this one is analog) or B) just roll the miles back on the analog to match what my car has. will either of these options work and not cause any problems?

SO EVERYTHING!
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 1:59 PM
i was wondering the same thing. i got a 3 speed as well and was looking to swap with one that has a tach. mines also digital. i was just gonna try to swap out the odometers.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:11 PM
has to be a digital gauge cluster... but it can be from a automatic or manual, that part doesnt matter as long as its from a 98-99 digital your fine...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search