trunk lid speakers - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
trunk lid speakers
Sunday, May 21, 2006 8:17 AM
Im starting to make a mould for speaker pods inside my trunk lid so that when you open the trunk you have speakers facing out. But i can't really figure out how to secure it to the trunk. My plan was to get some small metal screws and screw it to the frame of the trunk (so they don't pop through the top) but im sure theres a better way.

my qestion, what is a good way to secure this to my trunk lid. It will be fiberglass and their onlt 6.5" speakers so weight is not a huge issue. second, anyone have any pics of this on their cars, maybe for some design ideas?

I'll post some CAD pics later of what mine should look like.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: trunk lid speakers
Sunday, May 21, 2006 9:50 AM
cool idea lets see it!
Sunday, May 21, 2006 1:13 PM
theres a link to my cardomain page its on, not sure how to post pics.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2239121/5

still lookin for ideas to support this, any ideas are apreciated.

Monday, May 22, 2006 5:57 PM
do it just as you stated, screw into the ribs on the underside of the trunk. mount your speakers in the right spot and you can cover up your screw holes with the speakers themselves so you dont see them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, May 22, 2006 7:33 PM
i bet if you use the really strong sticky back velcro, it would work great. just make sure that when you apply it, to prep the surface and use lots, and if you take it off, make sure to not use a lot of bondo cause it could crack. use it to just fill the low spots.
Monday, May 22, 2006 8:33 PM
Nut and bolt. But weld the nut to the trunk frame. Will never come loose like self tapping screws. After a while those will start to come out from opening and closing the trunk.

Monday, May 22, 2006 9:01 PM
I've been thinking about doing the same thing except i had a few different ideas. But a quick question were you going to have these on all the time, or have a switch for them to only turn on when the trunk is open. Hope you get it all done and as soon as you do post some pics. I cant wait to see what it'll look like.

aK
Tuesday, May 23, 2006 7:49 PM
That's a cool idea. Never thought of it.

Friday, May 26, 2006 6:56 AM
Yea their going to be hooked up to a pin switch so their only on when the trunk lid is open. Just figured when your out somwhere in a parkinglot with a bunch of buddies or havin a party you can just pop the trunk and have some tunes. I also found those shocks that vans use for the hatches so I may use one of those so when i pop my trunk with the remote the lid comes up on its own and is supported.

I have all my materials, all I need is some time so I will post pics soon. thanks for the input guys!

Friday, May 26, 2006 8:02 AM
I just finished doing mine with screens instead of speakers.

I just drilled into the ribs in the deck lid and used 6 black oval head screws.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Friday, May 26, 2006 10:23 AM
That looks nice! can't wait to get mine done now, it looks better than I expected. as long as the screws hold the weight then I don't really see any issues.

Friday, May 26, 2006 11:42 AM
With the angle our trunk lids open to, I don't think it's worth it. I thought about it a lot while I was doing the shows all the time. Our trunks don't open the full 90 degrees. You'll have to bend down do even see anything. If you're standing straight up, the back of the trunk will block everything. We're not lucky like the V-Dubs and BMW's or even Cobalt owners

Friday, May 26, 2006 2:10 PM
Ian Lacey wrote:With the angle our trunk lids open to, I don't think it's worth it. I thought about it a lot while I was doing the shows all the time. Our trunks don't open the full 90 degrees. You'll have to bend down do even see anything. If you're standing straight up, the back of the trunk will block everything. We're not lucky like the V-Dubs and BMW's or even Cobalt owners

those that really look at the car will notice it. those that just glance at it wont even realise it i like the mods that you might not notice the first time around. my trunk lid is off the car right now but i'll have to wait on doing it since HIN is only a few weeks away.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, May 26, 2006 4:49 PM
i dont think the deck speakers sound good at all with the trunk open. maybe your new ones will compensate for the sound loss.

Sunday, May 28, 2006 7:08 AM
sndsgood wrote:those that really look at the car will notice it. those that just glance at it wont even realise it i like the mods that you might not notice the first time around.

I think it makes for a poor presentation, not having the speakers or screens facing the people that will be looking at the car.

Sunday, May 28, 2006 9:11 AM

^ ^ ^

That's why I put one like this and the 2 in the deck lid I angled out at the bottom so when I'm sitting behind the car in a chair I can see them straight on.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Sunday, May 28, 2006 10:25 AM
To me its not as much about presentation as sound. The speakers will be angled for sound quality, i'm not putting any screens mainly because i can't afford it lol.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 2:30 PM
Ian Lacey wrote:
sndsgood wrote:those that really look at the car will notice it. those that just glance at it wont even realise it i like the mods that you might not notice the first time around.

I think it makes for a poor presentation, not having the speakers or screens facing the people that will be looking at the car.

yeah but depending on the speakers the best sound wont be pointed directly at the person. and you can mount a screen in just about any angle to be viewed. its all in the install.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search