Odometer Light burnt out? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Odometer Light burnt out?
Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:52 PM
It seems my OD light has burnt out, at least I hope that’s all it is.

its on a 98 Sunfire SE, at first the lights would randomly start freaking out(the numberrs would flicker and change constantly) and the trip light would flicker on and off, then it started to do it more often and sometimes read all 8's. Now its off completely.

If I put a flashlight on the OD I can see that its still functioning fine, it recording K properly and the Trip works fine, I can’t see it most of the time so I can’t tell if its still having the flickering issues or not, but I haven’t seen it any of the time’s ive been able to read it.

What can be done? If its just a simple light where can I get myself a new one and how hard is it to change the LED? If there’s a walkthrough available it would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Ian

Re: Odometer Light burnt out?
Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:21 PM
Friday, May 12, 2006 7:07 AM
Thanks for the link, so changeing the entire cluster is required if i want the OD light working again? I was hopeing that wasn't the case

the rest of the dash is fine, its strickly the OD light that i am having a problem with.
Friday, May 12, 2006 9:42 AM
if you want you can crack it open unsolder the old led and resolder an new bulb, but it can be very tricky and your can end up frying the whole cluster.

Friday, May 12, 2006 9:45 PM
98-99's do not have an led for the odometer backlight, its a small bulb that gm doesn't sell, just remove it and solder in a #74 bulb, only takes a few mins

Saturday, May 13, 2006 10:54 AM
a #74 bulb, is this something I can simly get at somewhere like "the source" or do i need to order it somewhere?

anyone have a walkthrough to get my cluster out so I can work on it then then put it back in properly?

I'm also guessing the flickering of the OD and the light burning out are unrelated?
Saturday, May 13, 2006 6:20 PM
i picked them up at canadian tire, as for a walk through, you have to remove the top dash pad, its a game of find the screws, first remove the airbag fuse, then the piece around the stereo (2 screws in the glove compartmetn) then remove all the screws going along the top of the glove box, remove the 2 end pieces, remove the centre hvac grille, and the panel that goes along right under the windsheld, few bolts up there as well, then take the whole pad off, and its just a couple bolts to take out the cluster. Remove the bolts on the back of the cluster that holds the metal panel on, then pull off the curcuit board from the cluster, just pull it straight off, you'll see the bulb, remove it and then solder the wires from the new bulb to the pads where the old bulb was attached

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 2:08 AM
I fn hate those things. I install stereos for my job and about 1 in 3 cav/fires will randomly go out. Luckily we made a deal with this stereo repair place that will do it for cheap. Dealers will really f you if on the cost.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search