Remove Window Tint? / Automatic shift knob? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Remove Window Tint? / Automatic shift knob?
Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:51 PM
I acquired a 98 cavalier that has very ghetto quality window tint. I peeled the stuff off the rear window but the mylar came off and the tint stayed on. Oops....

Question is, how can I remove this stuff without razor blade scraping? Sure I can scrape it, but if I do the rear window defroster wires are toast.

The other question is do they make aftermarket shift knobs for automatic Cavaliers? The stock ones don't look so hot.

Thanks!

Savage
Steve

Re: Remove Window Tint? / Automatic shift knob?
Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:56 PM
Not sure on the tint. As for aftermarket shift knobs, yes they make them. You can do a search to find several threads on them, or search google or e-bay for them.

Wide Body Progress

Thursday, March 09, 2006 9:41 PM
don't change it

automatic shift knobs are cheap

and wont work right'

Thursday, March 09, 2006 11:23 PM
my automatic shift knob is a pain in the ass, the allen screws always wiggle loose and i have to re-tighten them every week.

and i was also told that if you take off exsisting tint, that its hard/not able to have new tint go on then, true?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, March 10, 2006 5:25 AM
Friday, March 10, 2006 7:44 AM
Hrothgar wrote:my automatic shift knob is a pain in the ass, the allen screws always wiggle loose and i have to re-tighten them every week.

and i was also told that if you take off exsisting tint, that its hard/not able to have new tint go on then, true?

thats why they make thread locker.

Friday, March 10, 2006 9:33 AM
Look on TintDude for more info on the tint removal.

Maybe visit tint shops and see how much they would remove it for you. The tinter I goto removed the back window tint for $70. The tint was 10 years old or more. He said it was one of the worst removal jobs yet. I was going to use the steamer method that can be found on TintDude, but he warned me that he knows how to do it properly, and could not be held responsible for any adhesive that was left behind if I did it.
Friday, March 10, 2006 12:16 PM
lastnight i got pulled over (for speeding) and the cop gave me a warning for the tint and i asked him to go into detail about the tint laws around here, and he said it "70% of all light has to be seen through all the windows" and then he shined his light and tried to look in and was like yeah i cant see a damn thing, which is bad, but if you had lighter tint on it wouldnt really be a problem, our concern is being able to see through the windows.

so anyways, i want to get the 5% off and get some 15-20%, but i was worried about the previous tint because our local tint guy said once it comes off its so hard to put new tint on and have it look good because of the adhesive and he said it doesnt all come off.

but i dont really know, has anybody on here removed their old tint and threw new stuff on and had a problem?

Friday, March 10, 2006 12:20 PM
if thats what the tint guy said

i'd go somewhere else cuz his work must be sh(*&%#

Friday, March 10, 2006 12:23 PM
yeah it was, he really pissed me off when i first got it, the bubbles were freakin terrible over my dot matrix and then he charged me to get a black window drop over the back to cover it up.....and some of the edges look like @!#$

i dont know where else to go around central pA

Friday, March 10, 2006 1:05 PM
Hrothgar wrote: he said it "70% of all light has to be seen through all the windows"

He's wrong. You only have to be able to see through either the windshield or front door windows. NO PERCENTAGES ARE GIVEN IN THE LAW.

Page on PA tint law. Clicky

Friday, March 10, 2006 1:09 PM
well this is twice now that i've got warnings and have been told the same thing, so i dont know bub.

Friday, March 10, 2006 1:35 PM
Read the page I linked above, they have the actual law listed (and linked).

Quick summary. Cops have been lead to believe that New Table X is the law (this is where the 70% comes from), when in fact that it (new table x) is a document sent to inspection locations by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. The document was (is) a quick reference for inspection stations to give to customers with questions on tint (when inspection stations used to check tint, they don't now). The police got ahold of this notice and took it for law, when it was never intended as such.
Friday, March 10, 2006 10:38 PM
TurboEcotec5spdSwap wrote:don't change it

automatic shift knobs are cheap

and wont work right'

i disagree about them being cheap and not working. a bit of locktite on the allen heads and ive never had a problem in two years...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Saturday, March 11, 2006 9:03 PM
for the tint, of course remove the back deck, cover everything up that you wouldn't want to get wet, and make a 5:2:1 solution, 5 parts alcohol, 2 parts windex, 1 part paint thinner (try to make sure you can get as much ventalation as possible) then spray some on it, let it set and dry, repeat 3 or 4 times, after the last time, take a razor blade to one of the top corners (i'm pretty sure what you have left is still some sort of film that can be peeled), and slowly peel it. if some adhesive is still left, take that same solution and try to rub it out. if the adhesive doesn't come off, use some of that 3M stuff.

This worked for me, hopefully you'll have the same luck.
Saturday, March 11, 2006 10:16 PM
thanks trav, i appreciate that

Saturday, March 11, 2006 10:41 PM
sndsgood i love your interior mang

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search