what should i do? (dash crack) - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what should i do? (dash crack)
Thursday, March 09, 2006 12:37 PM
Hey guys, I got a dash crack starting to appear on the front piece closest to the windshield. I know this typical and I was hoping it wouldn't happen to me! Anwyays the dash crack right now is pretty much a hairline (very thin) but it is visible. Now I want to fix so it doesn't continue to crack, I want to buy some crazy glue and glue it back together so the crack will close and blend in. Any cons? or other ideas?

Re: what should i do? (dash crack)
Thursday, March 09, 2006 12:45 PM
Have fun!

Once the crack starts, there is no stoping it. Just get the F/G cover-up or replace the dash.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 12:52 PM
you can fiberglass the crack back together or go to the junk yard and find one thats not cracked

Thursday, March 09, 2006 1:48 PM
hmm besides that crack the dash is perfect!! I'm gonna try the crazy glue hopefully that'll help. If my dash lasted 5 years with no cracks it'll probably last another with a tiny hair line crack.
Thursday, March 09, 2006 2:01 PM
Jacob B wrote:hmm besides that crack the dash is perfect!! I'm gonna try the crazy glue hopefully that'll help. If my dash lasted 5 years with no cracks it'll probably last another with a tiny hair line crack.
once one starts they will just keep coming the glue will work but not for long

Thursday, March 09, 2006 6:34 PM
Drill a hole on the begin and end of the crack this way to stop it from cracking even more, then glass the peice with a few coats sand it and paint process and dont put Glue its doesnt help you out unless you get some JDM Hot glue (its the yellow stick) Stick to everything and last for a while quick solution but glassing in the best .This should hopefully help you out
Thursday, March 09, 2006 6:36 PM
Who makes the Fg replacement peice??

(Insert really cool picture of my car with some catchy name or slogan here)
Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:10 PM
i should be shortly

Friday, March 10, 2006 8:31 AM
just sit back and have a couple beers or some whiskey everything will be ok

Friday, March 10, 2006 5:20 PM
Just wondering cause if not I was going to make one and get them produced

(Insert really cool picture of my car with some catchy name or slogan here)
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 4:04 PM
I have had this happen to my 2000 Cavy like 3 years ago. I had left it alone for 2 years it couldn't take it anymore. It all started from a small hairline crack then it turn out to be 3 huge cracks. Nothing can stop. You're better off buying a new one which will cost $250 at the dealer ship. Getting one at the junk doesn't ensure you it's not on it's way to cracking sooner compare to if you were to buy a brand new one. I had mine replace a year ago and no the dash that's around the steering wheel is cracking now. I just can't win

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 7:38 PM
how does everyones dash keep cracking?

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 7:46 PM
it just happens.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 8:01 PM
on my 97, there is not a single crack in it

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 8:04 PM
lucky ^^

in my 01.

I have 2.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 8:36 PM
I've got 4....and it rattles constantly...even on smooth roads....
Wednesday, April 19, 2006 9:29 PM
my 96 doesnt have a single crack. and its been holding up to subs and alot of vibraton from motor mounts. plust its got 185,000 miles on it. seems like most of the newer ones have it.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 10:11 PM
2 96's.. no cracks in either and i live in southern cali 120+ in the summer.
If its from the sun you should get one of those entire dash mats. it will protect it alot if it was the actual dash cover you could pick one up some what cheap and bolt it up but that upper piece is a bitch.. its the only piece that isnt painted in my interior

Thursday, April 20, 2006 3:48 AM
Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:Who makes the Fg replacement peice??

92CAVQUEST (Billy), has some already made up. Hit him up if you need one.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 7:02 AM
i dont understand why it cracks? shouldnt there be a recall on it or something?? if it happens so often sho9uldnt the dealership cover it?

Thursday, April 20, 2006 7:12 AM
I imagine it cracks because of how the dash is one giant piece of plastic... every time you turn, you'd be putting stress on it and eventually it'd give way somewhere.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 11:01 PM
98 cavalier 130k miles, no cracks yet but interested in a cover piece so I dont need to rip out the whole dash shell to paint or wrap it in vinyl. Not right away, but sometime in the future, have my $$$ wrapped up in some other things for the time being. Did see the ones for sale on ebay a while ago, but like I said, just dont have the cash then, yet or possibly for a little while.

Friday, April 21, 2006 5:15 AM
you can always swap to a SF dash (that front piece is plastic, and removable)..

Friday, April 21, 2006 6:21 AM
Just noticed mine was cracked yesterday too - i prob just gonna find a whole new shell

Friday, April 21, 2006 5:47 PM
isn't it caused by a screw that is too tight? i thought i remembered hearing that.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search