Cold Cathode Neons Inside Your Car? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cold Cathode Neons Inside Your Car?
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 10:40 PM
Hi Guys
I just want to know who all is running cold cathode neon lights in there car? because I am thinking about getting some to replace the regular neon lights.

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Re: Cold Cathode Neons Inside Your Car?
Wednesday, March 08, 2006 10:48 PM
not yet but plan on it
they are soo much cheaper, just as bright if not brighter, and obviously they dont get hot, tho neons dont really get all that hot
but hte price was my deciding factor, now i just need the time and money

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 10:50 PM
ya i looked at the lights and i was like man they dont heat up and they are brighter then neons but they are cheaper then neons

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 10:55 PM
On the contrary...

I had 2 red 12" neons that I replaced with 12" cathodes. The neons had a greater light output for the underdash (see sig)

The cathodes are half that, and as such, I'll have to purchase additional ones to get the same output as the neon tubes.

I'll see if I can get a night shot of the cathode output sometime this week (have to hook one of them back up) as a comparison

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 11:47 PM
there bright i like them i got 5 to put in my car 1 in the dome light and 1 for each foot well front driver side,passanger then rear passanger and driver then i got 10 for under the car.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 6:29 AM
I currently have a pair of yellow cathodes under my dash and they are fairly bright (haven't decided if I want two on each side yet). I would have more around the car, but it's the only part of the car (other than the seats) that is actually IN the car.

For under $7.00 for two 12" cathodes you can't beat it, even if you double up for a brighter shine.

Larry - What size cathode did you put in your dome and how did you hook it up? And how did you get the cathodes under the seats? It seems like there isn't enough room under there.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 6:46 AM
i've always used cathodes

and i love em

and wont ever go to neons...$15 for 1 10".....

i think not

Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:14 AM
I have a set under my dash, and i live them. I got them off Oznium.com....get place. I have 2 12" ones, and these new red ones actually look red. For the price u can get multiple sets and still be cheaper than buying a higher quality neon.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 9:11 AM
i got some on the way as we speak...should be here tomomrow or sat, hope their good

Thursday, March 09, 2006 10:10 AM
i love the ones that are under my dash

Thursday, March 09, 2006 12:54 PM
Bill H ('02 Cav) wrote:I currently have a pair of yellow cathodes under my dash and they are fairly bright (haven't decided if I want two on each side yet). I would have more around the car, but it's the only part of the car (other than the seats) that is actually IN the car.

For under $7.00 for two 12" cathodes you can't beat it, even if you double up for a brighter shine.

Larry - What size cathode did you put in your dome and how did you hook it up? And how did you get the cathodes under the seats? It seems like there isn't enough room under there.

for the dome light i got a 6" one and for under the seats well i know the fit right under my racing seats i am not sure about the stock seats. there not in the car yet. i think i also got 2 cathods and an inverter for $4

Thursday, March 09, 2006 1:29 PM
Another holla for oznium.com here. I have 6 of their cathodes in my car (one under each dash, one under each seat, and two in the trunk), and they glow very nicely. I can post pics if requested.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 3:44 PM
hey alkatmsu sure post some pictures up on this

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Thursday, March 09, 2006 4:28 PM
That's where I purchased mine from as well.

For hooking them up under the seat, zip ties work.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 4:32 PM
Know where you can get these in Canada? I never even thought of cathodes.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 5:12 PM
check out some pc modding sites like
crazypc.com
xoxide.com
directron.com
can get dual cathode kits for 9.99
not sure of brightness compared to auto neons but from the cases i've seen and done they are pretty bright
Thursday, March 09, 2006 6:06 PM
Kustom 96 Sunfire GT wrote:hey alkatmsu sure post some pictures up on this

No problem. I'll post thumbnails to not slow things down too much, click to enlarge.

A general shot:

The trunk:

Good shot of the interior:

All of the pictures are very accurate as to brightness levels. Hopefull after spring break the HVAC will be brighter and the cluster will be blue!

Hope those helped, let me know if I can do anything else.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:02 PM
I do

Red.... hooked up to my dome, muahahaha.

Also turns on the underbodies

Friday, March 10, 2006 12:03 PM
alkatmsu,

is there some way i can reach you so that when i install mine i can ask you for help, btw they look great..

JBO'S Mr. 64.....
Friday, March 10, 2006 2:12 PM
Mr.64 (Shaune Drake) wrote:alkatmsu,

is there some way i can reach you so that when i install mine i can ask you for help, btw they look great..

Thanks

My email and yahoo messenger are on my profile.

Friday, March 10, 2006 4:08 PM
twistedtiger wrote:check out some pc modding sites like
can get dual cathode kits for 9.99
quote]

Oznium.com has dual kits for 6.49 (4" or 12"). That's where I got the one set I have and where I'm getting another three sets.

alkatmsu ---> how did you wire yours? Just to a switch or what?

Friday, March 10, 2006 10:27 PM
Mine's a very basic setup... fused wire from the battery, to a switch on the dash, then that splits off everywhere to the lights, and the ground goes to the steering wheel bolt under the dash.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search