Fixing Door Panels??? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fixing Door Panels???
Thursday, February 16, 2006 2:02 PM
Before ya'll try to chastize the newbie for asking this question, YES I already did a search for this question, NO I did not find the answer I was looking for.

My door panels are plastic with a fabric on the center portion

The tan is the fabric with foam behind it........yes, I know what i'm doing so none of you make fun of me....haha

Anyway, the fabric has started to come unglued and there is a hard foam behind it on the plastic door panel. What would be a good, safe adhesive to use to reattach the fabric?

Thanks for all the help!

Re: Fixing Door Panels???
Thursday, February 16, 2006 4:38 PM
Why not try stapling it with a staple gun? Thats what i use when i recover.

Friday, February 17, 2006 5:32 AM
nah......no staples.........i just might pull it off

Friday, February 17, 2006 5:42 AM
There is a special glue made for vinal for cars. Check your nearest auto zone. I've used it before and it works great. but DON'T USE A STAPLE GUN.
Friday, February 17, 2006 7:21 AM
Cody Ellis wrote:There is a special glue made for vinal for cars. Check your nearest auto zone. I've used it before and it works great. but DON'T USE A STAPLE GUN.

eh, the local autozone people are morons and mostly in high school.......they all looked at me like

if i'm not mistaken, 3m is who makes the stuff i need, but i just can't remember the name of the product.

it's almost like it's a hard foam underneath the fabric.

eh, staple guns are fun!!!!!!!! i'm just kidding.......i know not to use a staple gun

Friday, February 17, 2006 7:25 AM
^^^you want either 3M Super 77 or the 90. i used 77 on my arm rests, dash, headliner, etc and worked perfect every time. the key is to spray it down, let it get tacky, then spray again til tacky, then lay the fabric. allows the hold to be a lil stronger.

if you need any more info, shoot me a PM

hope this helps

Friday, February 17, 2006 7:57 AM
hey thanks! guess this means i'm takin the door panels off when it gets warmer outside!

i really appreciate the help!

Friday, February 17, 2006 8:27 AM
one more note, pulling the arm rests off is pretty easy, you just have to cut the plastic welds, but puting it back on is a PITA. i used liquid nails with a 20 lb weight to hold it down over night, then recovered with hot glue the next day.

so if you can, try and spare a few of the plastic welds to make re-mounting a little easier.

Friday, February 17, 2006 9:38 AM
eh, my door panels are easy to get off shouldn't be too hard

thanks again!!! very much appreciated!

Friday, February 17, 2006 2:17 PM
eh...fill me in here...why not staple? Ive used staples to recover the interior of my last two cars and have never had trouble.

Friday, February 17, 2006 2:18 PM
staples bad.......i'm going to be selling the car so i want it to be as nice as possible

no offense to your stapling method

Friday, February 17, 2006 2:26 PM
are you his neighbor?

Friday, February 17, 2006 3:27 PM
Jokr wrote:are you his neighbor?

nevermind i see you live in kansas

Saturday, February 18, 2006 4:39 PM
what he is talking about is if there is a wood backing you stretch the material around the wood and you staple it from the backside so no staples are visable. if there is anything im wrapping that involves wood backing i will use staples over adhesive.

as for adhesive on vinyl ive never had luck with 3m 77 or 90 i'ts all given way in high heat after a while. ive used 3m vinyl top spray and it seems to be the best stuff ive found so far that you can find in a spray can. that you have to get from a auto shop that sells car paint etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, February 19, 2006 6:38 PM
^^Thanks for explaining that. I use staples because it is very easy to pull them out if I decide to recover..plus they dont leave a sticky mess.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 12:22 AM
I have redone my whole inside doors, seats, roof, etc. I find insome places ya staples & glue works good with each other just as long as the staples don't show (backing etc) has for the glue. Upholsters use this stuff on aircraft paneling. It's Loctite heavy duty spray adhesive. Wood, Metal, Plastic, Rubber,Upholstery /Indoor-outdoor high/low temp Resistance and waterproof! oh yeah last but not least 3 way adjustable valve tip (webbing-type spray) perfect for spraying cloth without it bleeding thru...I'm not knocking 3m i use alot of there stuff even the 77/90 but when it comes to spray glue this stuff only take one light spray .....don't forget to spray your foam back in ...it helps

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4235/jim25ek.jpg
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search