wireing Autometer Cobalt guages - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
wireing Autometer Cobalt guages
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 11:21 AM
Hey everyone just a few questions. The Cobalt guages need a switchable light source (IE wired to headlights) what wire is that on the headlight switch on the stering colum? Also what is a good key on power wire to tap into that could safely supply 3 more guages?

(and yes i did search)

Thanks
Riki

~Riki

SPONSORED BY: No one!
Car Domain Site

Re: wireing Autometer Cobalt guages
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 12:09 PM
For my gauges, I tapped right into the harness that goes into the stock gauge cluster.

Do those need a constant 12V wire switched with the headlights or can you use a dash lighting (voltage regulated by dimmer switch) wire?

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 12:35 PM
i got mine from the dimmer switch

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 1:08 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans�)]i got mine from the dimmer switch

same here...most of the time thats the best place to
run interior lighting from (just my opinion)

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 1:36 PM
Okay this is what i got from the autometer site.

Black= ground
White= + 12v dash
Red= +12v Connection

I'm at work right now so I am not currently looking at the guages or the full instructions. I'd upload the image but for some reason ImageShack is not working for me (keeps timing out on this network).

So for the dimmer panel, you can adjust the brightness of the guages via the switch and the guages only light when the headlights and sock guages are lit?

~Riki

Car Domain Site
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 2:02 PM
yup

the white wire goes to the dash lights

and like i said i got mine at the dimmer , its usually easier to get to if they left enough wire , you can go through the side of the dash next to the dimmer

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:30 AM
go to your parking lights NOT headlights, cust in case.........
your light inside the car come on with parking

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:40 AM
Okay so here is what i got so far...

Black = ground (Thats easy)
White = Dimmer panel (what wire?)
Red = Still need to find a 12 V source (I'll take a mulitmeter to some wires in the dash)

Now I'm just waiting for this kid to buy my bass so i can get a pillar pod. He still hasnt sent money.

~Riki

Car Domain Site
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:47 AM
if you have multimeter, just check one of the wires in the dimmer, and post the solution

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:50 AM
lol smart a$$. Yea i realized that when after i posted.

~Riki

Car Domain Site
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 8:58 AM
yeah well......... thats why an edit button would be kewl.......wouldn't it?

drop a fuse on your cig lighter positive side...... it's right there!!!

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 10:19 AM
The reason I asked is because the Cobalt gauges have that indigo sort of look, don't they? I figured it was possible that they might need the full 12V all the time and have their own sort of dimmer control or something.

If it says 12v dash though, then that usually means the dimmer (also called dash lighting).

Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:02 AM
The cobalt gauges use blue leds that shine through the dial.
The wire from the dimmer switch you probably need to tap
into is the grey one.

Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:36 AM
Alright here you are. If you bend down under the dash and look up you'll notice 2 big thick wire looms. In the one closest to the door there is a big thick pink wire. i think it's 8gauge. there are 2, so just test them. This will be your power source it is the acc keyswitch. Now for illumination of the lights, if you pop off the steering wheel column shroud you will see a bunch of wires. you're looking for the white wire (corner lights) this will turn the illumination on only when your corners/markerlights or headlights are turned on. As for the ground I use the plate under the dash the metal one w/ holes in it. Works great for a ground.
If you have a tach nd your tach wire adapter doesn't work (like so many that i hear of) it's possible to wire it up to a 1 pulse signal, even though it's a 2 pulse engine set up. the only thing it will do is be erratic (jumpy from 1k-0k)b/c of the 1 pulse under 1k. But you find your PCM under the hood and locate the wires. there is a white one. Tap into that and you have a signal if you have an A/F gauge tap the purple line (if it's an autometer) into the line after the sensor itself BUT before the stock plugin harness. where it's still a single line. Those are the common gauge questions i see.. So i hope i answered them all for you. If you need help shoot me an IM or an EMail

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
-Saint Augustine
Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:44 AM
when i wired my autometer guages, I tapped into the green wire I believe on the back of the dimmer, now my dimmer doesn't work. there is only one spot on the dimmer where both the cluster and gauges light up, if I move it at all, the lights go out, any clue what could cause this?
Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:44 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:The reason I asked is because the Cobalt gauges have that indigo sort of look, don't they? I figured it was possible that they might need the full 12V all the time and have their own sort of dimmer control or something.

If it says 12v dash though, then that usually means the dimmer (also called dash lighting).

they do use blue LEDs as mahcmos said. and it's a true blue the pictures don't do them justice at all. I almost didnt buy the ones i have b/c of the pictures. they're bright as hella t night too. lol

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
-Saint Augustine
Thursday, October 20, 2005 11:20 AM
Troll: The problem with your method is that the gauges will always light up with full brighness. If you use the dimmer wire, they'll have about the same intensity as the rest of the lighting.

cmunn: No idea man. Like I said... I tapped into the wire going into the gauge cluster. I think it's the grey one as mahcmos said. Easy enough to test with a voltmeter. Just find the one that varies when the dimmer is moved.

Thursday, October 20, 2005 1:54 PM
your best bet would be to go to your dimer switch....... and test one of those.......
you don't want to mess anything up at the cluster... by probing the wrong wire

Thursday, October 20, 2005 2:48 PM
buzz122 wrote:your best bet would be to go to your dimer switch....... and test one of those.......
you don't want to mess anything up at the cluster... by probing the wrong wire

Can that even happen? I just stuck the probe in the end of the connector with the cluster unplugged.

Of course, I'd already read the wiring diagram and had the right wire and was just probing to make sure...

What bad thing can happen from sticking a voltmeter probe on the wrong contact? It's not like you're putting voltage into it, right? Or would bad things happen when you ground it?

Saturday, October 22, 2005 11:13 PM
Im having the same problem, the dimmer switch hook up didn't work for me at all, Ive got an 04 cav. Any one got and Idea what color the wire is going to the dimmer, that you have to wire into to get the damn things to work. I also have the cobalts, they look freakin awsome.
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 8:22 AM
Should be getting my pillar from jason wendsday so i will finally be installing these guages this weekend. I'll just test the wires on the dimmer switch. maybe ill do a tut on these just so everyone is clear.

~Riki

Car Domain Site

Friday, October 28, 2005 6:18 AM
Okay i tried to wire them to the dimmer switch and none of the wires lit the guage. and i cannot find the o2 sensor connector on a 04 eco. I can see the sensor and i trace the wires but no connector. Its the one right on the drivers side on the header right? (sorry it was 1 am and i could see very well so it might not even be the right sensor. lol)

~Riki

Car Domain Site
Friday, October 28, 2005 7:31 AM
I can't help with the Ecotec, but for the dimmer... hit the wire with a voltmeter before hooking it up to your gauges. Ensure you're getting voltage and that it varies when you turn the adjuster. That will be the correct wire.

Friday, October 28, 2005 7:32 AM
Note that there will only be power when your headlights are on. If you want constant power, you're going to need a constant source, live when the car is in run mode.

It won't dim though.

Friday, October 28, 2005 12:38 PM
I had them hooked up to the dimmer switch, turned the parking lights on (so that the guage lit up) and turned the dial... nothing. Did this on all 4 of the wires. Maybe ill try again later on it was 1 am after all.

~Riki

Car Domain Site
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search