fiber glass issue - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
fiber glass issue
Friday, September 30, 2005 4:30 PM
Ok, i bit the bullet and attempted to fiber glass my dash. The problem I am having is I am noticing some air bubbes forming while the resin is drying. I know I mixed the resin and the hardening agent prperly, so what gives?

Re: fiber glass issue
Friday, September 30, 2005 9:39 PM
air got between the layers of fiberglass probably. if it wont lay flat use some gloves to smooth it out

14.82 @ 97 mph
Saturday, October 01, 2005 12:48 AM
what gives is actually very simple when you know a few things about working with glass (no smart ass comment intended). First when you lay glass in large areas, always tear your glass into smaller peices, try to keep your peices the size of your hand or smaller on large flat areas, for curves keep them a bit smaller and it will conform to shapes alot smoother, also by tearing the glass before laying it down you will not have hard edges to sand out, and less chance of inconsistent level or low spots.

You need to invest in some basic tools, go to a local paint supply and get some fiberglass rollers they should be small plastic rollers with a serious of grooves cut across their length, these will allow you to smooth away the bubbles, once you lay glass and coat it with resin you really cant adjust it to much with gloves as it will quickly get tacky and become a giant mess.

You can also work your brush over the air bubbles and smooth them out, just becareful about how long you work with the glass, ideally in 70 degree temps you should have about 15 to 20 mins to put your resin down before it starts to gel up, colder temps equal longer times, which can also mean more chance of bubbles because its less likely you'll stand there for 45 mins and make sure the glass stays put while it dries, to speed up the process you can use work lights or halogen heat lamps, place the lamps no closer than a foot above your project, depending on outside temps, do not leave the lamps on to long or the glass will take off and burn from the heat, but done correctly your glass will start to cure in as little as 5 to 10 mins and from there you can leave it be.

J~
Monday, October 03, 2005 6:49 AM
in my own opinion, this is probably your best approach on a fiberglass dash if you have a DA. Get some fiberglass cloth, fold it up about 5 times, place it on a flat surface and cut it up with a razor blade. Put the cut up pieces into a small bucket and pour your resin in. Stir the bucket up with a paint stick while your adding your hardener. Stir for about 45 seconds depending on the amount of resin you are using. When applying the mixture, use a body spreader to spread it accross the entire dash. Once it dries, use a DA with "40 GRIT" sanding discs. The trick to perfect body work is to use a low grit sand paper to make it straight(using a block after you sand the initial fiberglass high spots), then use a ultra light weight body filler on your very last coat and sand with a block with 80 grit. Between the last body filler coat and applying the resin/glass I usually put one coat of resin jelly on and block it with 40 grit.

just my .02

WatchersHookup.com
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 10:30 AM
shows you how there are always more then one way to do things and get the same results. i use as large a piece of cloth as the piece allows and that i can handle, i agree when your just learning start with smaller pieces. if your just using paint brushes for your resin wich is what i do. trim them in half. this will make the brush a bit more thicker. and you need to push the resin into the cloth, dont try to paint it on like your painting yoru house, use the bristles and basically poke the piece, that will push the resin into the cloth and you will have allot less air bublles.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 4:29 PM
^ I'd have to agree with jason. I used to use smaller pieces but I found that to be the reason for uneven areas...A large piece isn't hard to work with...use a brush, give your piece you are glassing a quick brush over with resin and then stick your cloth ontop so it stays in place. Then Use a brush and paint the resin all over. And for air pockets...Use your brush and just start stabbing at the fiberglass...it will help pop alot of air bubbles that's for sure.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search