Aftermarket gauge overlay - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Aftermarket gauge overlay
Saturday, October 01, 2005 11:23 AM
so im trying to install my ovlay today n searched everywhere but couldnt find anythign helpfull

it comes with the overlay the powerbox and the switch

on the powerbox are 2 black wires, one that connects to the overlay, and on that connects to the on/off switch. There are also 2 red wires comming from it and my question is were exactly do they go?

Get Wrecked

Re: Aftermarket gauge overlay
Saturday, October 01, 2005 10:36 PM
so apparently no one knows? all these ppl with cavs and no one know wow

Get Wrecked
Sunday, October 02, 2005 8:59 AM
I just placed an order w/ elguages.com for a reverse glow overlay. When I receive them and look over the install instructions. I'll post some easier to follow directions for the install. In the meantime, check the General Motors Haynes manual. The back of the book has the electrical layout.

I hope this helps!

Sunday, October 02, 2005 9:51 AM
yea bcuz it cam with no instructions (thankz ebay) and an on/off switch when everyones saying splice it thru the dimmer switch. i just dontknow which to do but some instructons would be very helpful ty

Get Wrecked
Sunday, October 02, 2005 10:04 AM
Not sure if the dimmer on the 95-99's is any different then the 00-02's, but I posted some directions awhile back.

Click Me

The grey wire (checked in a haynes manual) controls the dimmer. The stock dimmer switch can now be used to dim the glo gauges. I tapped into that with the power, and the ground tapped into an existing ground (the black wire in the harness).

hope this helps!

Sunday, October 02, 2005 10:57 AM
k well what im confused about is that mine came with an on/off switch (?) that connects to the power box, then a wire from the power box that connects to the overlay...then theres the 2 wires. Both of them are frixen red. so if i have an on/off switch for the power ..there why would i have to do anythign with the dimmer?

Get Wrecked
Sunday, October 02, 2005 11:56 AM
This is just a shot in the dark cause I'm wingin' it till I get mine. I think you can connect the on and off switch to the power box. Then the two red can be spliced to the grey dimmer switch wire. Connecting this to the dimmer will make the lights act like stock. The gauges dim with the rest of the dash lights, and turn on/off with the parking lights, etc. Give this a shot, the worst that can happen is you'll need to replace a fuse.

Anyone out there please correct me if I'm wrong since I'll be doing this when I receive my gauges soon!

Hope this helps, let me know!
Peace Out!

Sunday, October 02, 2005 6:04 PM
FuriousCavi: Scratch what I said earlier! After some research, I found these instructions on a website. I hope this helps.

Glow Gauges Installation Instruction and Connection
Wires Connection: Power and ground leads are hardwired to the power inverter (black box). The power lead (red wire), which has an in-line 1-amp fuse, should be connected to your vehicle's dash lights power wire or cigarette lighter power wire. While the ground lead (black wire) should be connected to an existing ground wire or any clean metal surface.

2-pin female connectors are hardwired to the power inverter. Connect each gauge overlay to these connectors.

A 2-pin male connector is hardwired to the power inverter. Connect the on/off switch to this connector.

On/Off Switch and Power Inverter Mounting: Using the supplied self-adhesive foam pad, you can mount the power inverter and on/off switch on any flat surface.

Installation Note: Gauge installation is recommended for experienced installers.

Monday, October 03, 2005 11:40 AM
ty thats exactly what im looking for

Get Wrecked
Monday, October 03, 2005 5:59 PM
Glad to be of help FuriousCavi. Post a pic when you get a chance, so we can see how it turned out.
I hope to be receiving mine soon!

Peace Out!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search