How to remove dash once you install gauge pod? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to remove dash once you install gauge pod?
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 10:02 AM
I'm taking my car in to get a new stereo next month and just realized that I've got about 1/2" clearance between the top of my dash and the bottom of my gauge pillar pod...

I do NOT want to pull the pod, as the wires were a bastard to get tucked in and are now all hooked up with very little slack, and I had to pound the crap out of the top clip to make it stay attached.

Seeing as how you have to "pop" those 3 clips above the gauge cluster, any advice on how to pull the dash out now?

I'm gonna do it myself to spare the stereo installer from getting his butt kicked for messing up my ride!

Thanks!

Steve

Re: How to remove dash once you install gauge pod?
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 1:45 PM
When I have to do anything I have to take my pods and a-pillar off. Sorry but I couldn't find a way to get the top of the dash of any other way.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 2:15 PM
Yeah, thats what I figured...dammit

If that top clip gives me any more crap, I'll find a way to permanently fix it, maybe a longer screw or something.

I just hope I don't yank any wires or anything!

Steve
Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:00 PM
I've got enough slack in my wires and tubes to remove mine enough to remove the dash. I was thinking ahead...

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:00 PM
^^^One small self tapping screw does wonders.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:47 PM
i can take my dash on and off with a 3 guage pod on. Just work it alittle.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 11:02 PM
same here. its just a tight squeeze
Thursday, September 29, 2005 7:19 AM
But it doesn't hurt anything if they hit each other a little? I just don't want to dent or scuff my dash.

Thanks,

Steve
Thursday, September 29, 2005 7:22 AM
you could take off the gauge pillar, and get some extra wire....and put some slack on those wires, this will make it easier to take apart in the future

Go Premium, it builds character!

Thursday, September 29, 2005 7:58 AM
or cut the wires as long as theres no tubes and just put quick connect connectors on it then you could take it off when ever!

Thursday, September 29, 2005 5:21 PM
Why do you need to remove the full dash to do a stereo install, just remove the bezel around the stereo

Friday, September 30, 2005 7:30 AM
Uhhh...because you have to pull the upper dash off first to get to the screws for removing the radio bezel...
Friday, September 30, 2005 9:04 AM
Blue Cav Customs wrote:Uhhh...because you have to pull the upper dash off first to get to the screws for removing the radio bezel...

thats why you leave those out. it takes me like 2 seconds to get to my radio. take 1 bolt out and unclip the bezel, so much easier

Friday, September 30, 2005 11:54 AM
^ thats how you get noises and sqweaks with upper and lower motor mounts and front and rear trans mounts.

Friday, September 30, 2005 12:46 PM
Hmmm...yeah I guess that's a good idea...

I'll have to try that out and see if I get any rattling or noise.

Fatalic CAVI, that "smiley" next to your sig is the sign of a very sick mind - I like it!
Friday, September 30, 2005 3:49 PM
ive got my dual pod automter , down as far as i can get it , and i can still get my dash top out with out removing the pillar

if you have a 2nd person it will help out a little , cause each 1 can lift and slide each side out

if you have the parts painted , just slide a towel or cloth between for removal and reinstallation

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search