need some ideas for mounting LCD in dash - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
need some ideas for mounting LCD in dash
Friday, September 23, 2005 6:38 AM
I came across a bunch of cheap 5" LCD's with VGA/composite inputs for $12. I had to buy them all lol...

anyway, I'd like to ghost my headunit, mount the face plate on the roof, and put the HU in the glovebox or somewhere.

in the hole the radio normally goes, I'd like to mount one of the 5" LCD's.

I came across the idea to get a small piece of plexiglass, and attach it to the back of the dash piece ... attach the LCD to the plexiglass using windshield adhesive, and then black out the rest of the plexiglass with vinyl or something.

I've never used bondo or fiberglass or anything, and don't want to learn yet :p

what's a good way to attach plexiglass to the dash? I pixed up some plastic weld/epoxy stuff from the auto parts store. Just wanted to hear you guys' opinions because I've never done anything like this before.

Thanks.

----------
Cavillac

Re: need some ideas for mounting LCD in dash
Friday, September 23, 2005 8:10 AM
you have an email from me!

Friday, September 23, 2005 9:36 AM
letme buy one of those LCD's for the computer i'm putting in my car!!! PRETTY PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEAS!!! or at least hook me up with that deal wherever you got it!!!

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Friday, September 23, 2005 9:42 AM
lol they're actual portable LCD screens you attach to the back of the original playstation. some hackers online found that there's actually a pinout for a vga port on the pcb if you open it up ... and cut a monitor cable off an old monitor and solder it to the lcd and wha-la. vga LCD

it has very special requirements that not many video cards can support:

640x480
interlaced
c-sync enabled
15hz refresh rate

so far the only ones that they know of is some matrox mellinium(sp?) 4mb pci graphics card. from my personal experience, i've tied a radeon 9200, and it didn't work. I tried an nvidia geforce2 gts and it works great. no flickering or anything.

it's a very difficult project, i'd say a 7 out of 10. then you have to find a way to give it a regulated power source. I bought a car adapter for it off ebay, it costed more than twice as much as the LCD heh..

anyway, check your local toys r us's . it's the playstation psONE portable 5" LCD screen. good luck finding them.

search around on avsforum.com for more information

----------
Cavillac
Friday, September 23, 2005 9:46 AM
You know what!!!!, i was wondering if those things could be utilized some where besides the PSONE units..... thas awsome.......

Friday, September 23, 2005 9:53 AM
if it's only that, and if ya know boards.... then youre set, and for an experinced person, it should only be like a 4 out of 10 project....

When i worked at an install shop, i had quite a few people asking me to hook up tv's that had their wires cut. I never did that when i was on the clock for them, but i made quite a bit of spare change to do that on my own time. I've had to solder new connections to them. NO biggie. The thing is i knew that they had been yanked out of somone elses car, but i "never knew that"

Once i actully did that to this one monitor TWICE !!!! it was quite funny, and i couldn't stop laughin to myself.....

Friday, September 23, 2005 10:12 AM

this is kind of what i'm looking to do. the dark grey outline around the LCD is the metal frame which screws into the circuit board behind it.

i was told to use windshield adhesive to attach the lcd frame to the plexiglass. now i'm working on attaching the plexiglass to the dash

----------
Cavillac
Friday, September 23, 2005 10:22 AM
thats interesting and very cool

Friday, September 23, 2005 12:39 PM
IT'S INOVATIVE!!!!!

Friday, September 23, 2005 1:16 PM
thanks for the comments! it's coming along slowly. someone locally suggested 2-way mirror plexiglass ... they say when the LCD is off it just looks like a mirror. when the LCD is on you can see it..

I don't know if the LCD will be bright enough for that application, so I will just use my idea for now until I get my hands on the 2-way mirror plexi.

I plan on spraying the back of the plexi black, so the front will look glossy and black

---------
so far I've attached the plexiglass to the back of the dash using plastic epoxy stuff. very messy stuff, and very strong.

i've also attached the circuit board to the back of the LCD screen, and will be thinking of ways to mask off the 5" LCD square and paint the plexiglass. I will post pics later!

----------
Cavillac
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search