Installation of Gauge Overlay - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Installation of Gauge Overlay
Wednesday, September 07, 2005 5:29 AM
I received a set of gauges yesterday and they have this tiny on/off switch and I was just wondering how to install them without the switch. It's not as easy to trace out because it goes into the power inverter box. Has anyone came across these type of gauges, and how do I install them without the switch in there. I wanted to hook them up the same as stock with the dimmer and everything. Please help I want to get them installed before the weekend. Thanks,

Mike

Re: Installation of Gauge Overlay
Thursday, September 08, 2005 1:07 PM
Please Help
Thursday, September 08, 2005 3:43 PM
I'll be doing this later today... gonna run to autozone and look at one of the manuals there for the wiring. I'll post pics for you ok?

Thursday, September 08, 2005 8:34 PM
Here's a mini write up:

First, I removed the dashboard.

I couldn't get the bezel off, for some reason the clips for the dimmer switch and fog lights wouldn't come out. I was able to get it later, but here's the gauges half way out, and the bezel up.

Here's the gauges removed from the car

Sliding in the overlay was easy... just pointed the needles straight up and they went right over. A little 3M double sided tape and viola!

Gauges back together....

Tapped the power into the GREY wire... it's the dimmer wire (Looked it up in the Haynes manual). The gauges dim with the rest of the dash lights, and turn on with the parking lights.

Everything back together

And a good shot with my Tao XM2GO XM radio.

There ya go.......... quick little write up. Just tap into the Grey wire for the dimmer, and tap into the black wire for the ground.

Bigger images at HERE

Friday, September 09, 2005 9:31 AM
Did your gauge have a on/off switch coming out of the inverter (little black box), Mine does and I can't figure out how to not use the little @!#$ switch. Thanks very much for the write up too.

Mike
Friday, September 09, 2005 8:14 PM
Corsica Dude,

Where are you tapping that in from? I can not tell if it's from the Blue harness with all the wires in, or where at on the car. I need to hook mine up too, and instead of having another switch, i want it to come on with the parking lights and stuff. So where are those wires located at?

Friday, September 09, 2005 8:35 PM
Yea, the gauges had a transformer box, a blue/green switch, and a dimmer on it. Both dimmer's work (stock and supplied with gauges). No on off switch, but if the switch is left in the ON position, i see no reason why this wouldn't work.

Spud, check out the harness coming out from the dimmer switch. Haynes shows the GREY is the dimmer switch.

Monday, September 12, 2005 7:19 AM
Where did you get that red overlay? Its very sharp.
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 7:32 AM
HELP i have no gray wire in my 97 i have white yellow black and green
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 12:23 PM
and you didnt mess up ur guages when u moved the needles??
i thought that would throw off the reading

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 6:53 AM
i did mine yesterday and the speedo worked fine now all the sudden no more speedo anyone else have this prob???

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 9:51 AM
^^^ thats what i was talkin about

Thursday, October 06, 2005 3:59 PM
well for a heads up, for all of us with the on off switch, it cant be left out of the circut. unfortinity the transformer also has a momentary switch in it, so every time you want to turn them on, you have to hit the button, unless we can come up with a different transformer....

Thursday, October 06, 2005 4:25 PM
i wonder if a jumper from a computer on the pins would work. i will try it with mine soon and let you guys know.
Thursday, October 06, 2005 4:59 PM
I got these instructions from my overlays. Putting it on this weekend.

I hope it helps!

Glow Gauges Installation Instruction and Connection

Wires Connection: Power and ground leads are hardwired to the power inverter (black box). The power lead (red wire), which has an in-line 1-amp fuse, should be connected to your vehicle's dash lights power wire or cigarette lighter power wire. While the ground lead (black wire) should be connected to an existing ground wire or any clean metal surface.

2-pin female connectors are hardwired to the power inverter. Connect each gauge overlay to these connectors.

A 2-pin male connector is hardwired to the power inverter. Connect the on/off switch to this connector.

On/Off Switch and Power Inverter Mounting: Using the supplied self-adhesive foam pad, you can mount the power inverter and on/off switch on any flat surface.

Installation Note: Gauge installation is recommended for experienced installers.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 5:36 PM
but that still leaves the on and off switch....
unless we can come up with a replacement transformer, then these are useless

Thursday, October 06, 2005 6:12 PM
I'll ask around. I have an on/off switch that I would like to get rid of.

Peace Out.

Thursday, October 06, 2005 8:06 PM
i would also like to know how u just pointed the needles up without harming the cluster. i see that u have an 00, so the needles arent removable. im looking to maybe do an overlay and want to know if i can do this without killing my cluster.

this is my sig
Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:24 PM
i have some other ongoing projects so i havnt been able to cut her back on yet, but from what i have been told, just be gentle, and make sure they are all back were they started when you cut the power back on

but like i said, we will find out... lol

Friday, October 07, 2005 9:52 AM
a heads up for all of us with the on and off switch... i finally got an email from the guy that i bought the gauges from, and for $15 i can get a different transformer, that will remove the on and off switch, but it adds the color changer thingy, so worst come to worst, you hide the other thing in the dash somewere... newaz if anyone wants the guys email, let me know, i will pass it around

Friday, October 07, 2005 12:47 PM
do you have to turn the the gauges on seperate from the headlights? that's really stupid, shouldnt they come on when you turn on your headlights

Friday, October 07, 2005 12:58 PM
where are you guys buying your overlays? i have seen them on ebay but am not sure the kind of quality of these. i am also going to be swaping out my whole cluster so i can get a tach. My car is a standard and didnt come with a tach. Any tips on changing the cluster?

Friday, October 07, 2005 1:20 PM
Kase: That's what we're trying to figure out, any suggestions? I'm looking at the Haynes Manual as we speak.

Phranny19: I got my overlay @ elguages.com.
For a full cluster swap I've heard the Black Cat customs does this type of work....I think?

Peace Out!

Friday, October 07, 2005 1:26 PM
well i have a set coming in this weekend-early next week that i bought from ebay. though they are the same product that elgauges.com has. I will see what I find once I actually install it.

I really thought it was going to connect the same way the stock gauge does when i bought it.. what a dissapointment...

if anybody has pictures of the gauge/wires, and the switch. can you post them please?

Friday, October 07, 2005 1:28 PM
and Mike, you are saying that when you turn on your headlights, the guages lights do not turn on? just clarifying, thx

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search