just want a check from everyone on how it looks.. - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
just want a check from everyone on how it looks..
Tuesday, September 06, 2005 9:35 PM
Ok so I am workin on the doors and just mounted the speaker pods. I have lambo doors and the way I have the shape right now is pretty much how it has to be so that when I open the door it doesn't hit the glove box and doesn't hit the same spot on the drivers side.

What i did was just stretch the cloth at the bottom corner and then used spray glue to make the shape around the rest of the ring. It looks not too bad to me I just wanted to know what everyone thought of the general shape.

If anyone has any better solutions or ways to make it looks( remember it has to clear the lambo doors) feel free to post pics or ideas. This is my first time doin this so I just like to get confirmation that it's lookin good from the experts

Onto the pics

Re: just want a check from everyone on how it looks..
Wednesday, September 07, 2005 5:57 AM
Holy Crap those look HUGE!! I'd pop a panle on now and check to make sure the door will open. Other than that look's good.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 8:58 AM
it does fit you mean huge how? like they stick up to much?

I angled it at the driver for the passanger one and angled the passanger one at the driver.

You think I should chop them?

It's already lying against door panel itself on the low side.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 9:59 AM
wow they stick out far. good luck not kicking them

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 11:23 AM
so whats your suggestion to get it not to stick out so far

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 11:27 AM
CzapskiKandyKav wrote:it does fit you mean huge how? like they stick up to much?

I angled it at the driver for the passanger one and angled the passanger one at the driver.

You think I should chop them?

It's already lying against door panel itself on the low side.

If you chop um you can always cut away the panel alittle to give clearance for the magnet. There's plenty of space for it.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 11:28 AM
so cut the actual door and make the ring sink into the door more?

Wish I could see some pics of a good one done

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 12:15 PM
That is looking good......... what are you going to do to blend it with the rest of the door? like are you going to cover it with cloth/leather or make the whole door glassed?

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Wednesday, September 07, 2005 12:42 PM
well the whole door is gettin glassed but now you guys got me worried about the pods I am wondering if I should redo them.

If anyone else has pics of pods that would help.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 2:54 PM
i would go with TJ2

Quote:

If you chop um you can always cut away the panel alittle to give clearance for the magnet. There's plenty of space for it.

If youre worried about the clearance form the lambo doors, cut out the plastic behind YOUR formed piece, recess the speaker, giving you a lower profile on the door, and then you even have plenty of room to enclose it for proper cubic inches of air, to get that perfect mid-range...... right?
and there should even be a little bit more room, from the hole of the factory speaker....... if need be, you can utulize it too.......

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 3:49 PM
buzz122 wrote:i would go with TJ2

Quote:

If youre worried about the clearance form the lambo doors, cut out the plastic behind YOUR formed piece, recess the speaker, giving you a lower profile on the door, and then you even have plenty of room to enclose it for proper cubic inches of air, to get that perfect mid-range...... right?
and there should even be a little bit more room, from the hole of the factory speaker....... if need be, you can utulize it too.......

Exactly... Sorry I can't find any pic's to show I'll do a little digging and see what I can find.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 4:03 PM
I think you're looking to do what I've done, here are some pic's I found that might give you an idea how to do it. Works good, loads of room for my feet, and I have them both aimed between the seats, very nice soundstage.

The marker is me marking out where the dash sits and my leg when sitting in the car, this way I was able to get it all in without any troubles

A little extra design work, and a bunch of playdough to make the shape I wanted (this worked good, I was able to put it into the car and check it all cleared before glassing)

And a quick test fit, this also allowed me to figure out where I wanted to put the tweeters

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 4:28 PM
BIG TOM -> since you glassed your whole door, i dont know if this hapends in your car or not, but if you were to look at (drivers door) the very top, right hand corner..... and the door panel is on the door, with the door closed, .... how well, does the accent between the door, and the dash line up?

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 4:36 PM
Here's a LINKfor some pic's that's close enough for your project.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 4:38 PM
i wanna see them doors finished
Wednesday, September 07, 2005 5:10 PM
I want to see the doors finished to... but I just havn't had any ambition to do them anymore since my pop passed away, weekends I'm usually heading home to spend time with my mom, and after work I'm usually tired and would rather just go home and relax. It sucks, because both pannels are pretty close to painting... couple more good weekends and they'd be good to go.

Buzz122: The seam is fine, it's not very much thicker then the actual pannel so clearance isn't much of any issue. About the only place I have to be careful is at the bottom of the pannel, it's awefully close to rubbing when closing the door but once the screws are installed it's been fine.
Wednesday, September 07, 2005 6:39 PM
yeah i think that if u want to take the extra time kyle it would look better if u cut the door panel and recess it in. it sticks out pretty far. do that and you can feather it back into the door panel so it flows a bit more smoother and looks more a part of the door versus a pod attached to the door.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, September 07, 2005 10:46 PM
OK I'll try cutting it.. What I am gona do is completly cut out where the low end of the rings sits and sink it in a bit and where I have the pens holding the other side at the angle I want I will cut little circles holes so it will sink it. I just wanna keep them at that angle cause they are both as close to each other as the can be as far as the angle each pod is at... I'll keep ya posted. My door are also gonna take a long time not much time to do them as of right now.

Thanx again guys.

oh and big tom I like the way you did yours but as for the clearance I don't just have to worry about them hitting the dash closin its more as I open the door lambo style.. believe it or not it was workin without hittin but ya even I think they stick out too far..

And for anyone who tries this in the future I will be makin a DIY once I have completed the doors, so all the searching I did will be in one spot

Thursday, September 08, 2005 5:42 AM
Can't wait to see it when your finished. keep us posted.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 6:16 AM
TJ2 wrote:Can't wait to see it when your finished. keep us posted.

Ditto

Thursday, September 08, 2005 3:09 PM
it looks great. it also makes me wish i had more free time im going to do this as well. make sure you post progress pics

Thursday, September 08, 2005 8:27 PM
i need to do the same thing for my 6.5" midbass drivers but i bet you get finished before i even pick up a fiberglass brush lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, September 08, 2005 9:56 PM
hahah I dunno about that I have school now too car time is now school time so we'll see I guess At least now after all the reading I have done it will get done the right way

I love this site it has helped me so much

Friday, September 09, 2005 9:55 AM

that'san old pic of mine. got a lot more done on them this summer. hopefully when i have time again (in the spring) they'll get completed. i'll post pics then. mine stick out quite a bit, but they don't touch the dash. i have lambos as well and no clearance issues at all.

-john
Sunday, September 18, 2005 3:22 PM
just a little update. I cut the rings and made them sink in. They are about an inch lower now... Hows it look now?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search