legal issues with aftermarket wheel? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
legal issues with aftermarket wheel?
Thursday, June 16, 2005 10:49 PM
Im just wondering if theres anyone from NY that has an aftermarket steering wheel, and if theres any problems with vehicle inspection passing after their installed. i dont wanna do it if the car wont pass. im not too woried about the bags... been in a few accidents with other ppl where the bag went off and didnt do $#!+ but i would be leaving the passenger side in of course jic. i know this should be in the regionals but it seems like those forums dont get as much traffic as this one and i wanna get it answered.

Re: legal issues with aftermarket wheel?
Friday, June 17, 2005 5:51 AM
u could be in 10 acccidents and not get harmed, or you could be in 1 accident that kills you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, June 17, 2005 2:08 PM
you would have to check with your local laws , as well as your car insurance

cause your insurance company will have issues with air bag removal

plus you remove 1 might as well remove both cause the other shouldnt fuction either , once the light is on

Friday, June 17, 2005 9:25 PM
I do believe that if a vehicle comes with airbags, they have to remain in the car at all times--taking them out or disabling them would be illegal.

But again, I'd definitely recommend calling the DMV and your insurance company.

Friday, June 17, 2005 9:44 PM
mines out, i live in NY, no problems

Saturday, June 18, 2005 7:46 AM
mines out too, no probs at all, but i do agree with what sndsgood said, its a dumb thing to do, but if youre car is all show then i dont see a problem, just try to minimize your driving

2000 2.2L Turbocharged Pontiac Sunfire SE
SLVRBLU

Saturday, June 18, 2005 8:54 PM
forgive me for sounding stupid, but what about before air bags, seatbelts do their job dont they? ive hit a tree at 50 before and the seatbelt did its job.... no airbags, seems to me their over rated. i know its a small thing but im just wondering for cosmetic reasons.

Sunday, June 19, 2005 7:17 AM
I slid into a ditch nose first at about 45 in my dad's s-10 a few years ago. Air bag didn't go off, I didn't get a scratch on me, but my neck hurt for a day or two (however I think that's because I slept on my friend's floor because I was afraid to go home) All I can say is it's a game of chance.
Sunday, June 19, 2005 8:33 PM
i don't know bout the legal part of it but like said above, the insurance company will have a problem with it. i have my aftermarket wheel still sittin in my room, just can't get myself to put it in yet.

Click Here for PIX!!
Sunday, June 19, 2005 11:50 PM
today at work on my break i was sittin in my car starring at the wheel.... and i think i figured out a way to add the thumb position "happy buttons" and wrap the majority of the wheel in vinyl. the i would just have to dye the center portion to match since covering it with vinyl would probably F#$% the airbag up since it tears that part open. my cars a daily driver and i was tryin to think of ways around swapping the wheel without having it be the only thing stock in the whole interior.

Monday, June 20, 2005 12:48 PM
rouenacanoe wrote:forgive me for sounding stupid, but what about before air bags, seatbelts do their job dont they? ive hit a tree at 50 before and the seatbelt did its job.... no airbags, seems to me their over rated. i know its a small thing but im just wondering for cosmetic reasons.

your not stupid, its a valid point, but on the other hand, i gaurentee that when seatbelts came out there were allot of people out there that said " hey i was in a crash and not wearing my seatbelt and i lived, why should i use them?"

before airbags i always used to hear " i dont wear a seatbelt because i'd rather be thrown from the vehicle" because they had heard stories of someone being thrown from the vehicle and living. air bags arnt designed to keep you pefectly healthy in every single accident. airbags are simply to help save lives. people complain about a broken nose or chaffed face but honestly i myself would take 20 broken noses to dying one time. the statistics prove that air bags save lives, are their a couple of horror stories about them? sure. theres always a small percentage of error in everything we do.im not a big gambler, but i'd take the 80% odds of the air bag helping me, versus the 20% chance that it will hurt you worse.

ive been in an accident going about 75 where we broadsided another car, and i was just sitting in the backseat wearing nothing. does that mean i'm willing to take that change again and see if my odds are as good? no thanks, ive got a wife and kid on the way. my life is more valuble alive then taking a risk like that again.

you can take your own risks, your an adult. i just like people to know the other side of the story on some things, you have to decide wether the coolness of a steering wheel is more important than a life saving device.

and im not totally against ditching them. with our sunfire chances are they will get ditched this coming spring. but this is also now a thrid car that is going to only be for shows only.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Monday, June 20, 2005 2:24 PM
way to remove airbags and still be just as safe or even safer? roll cage with harness bar and 4-or-more-point racing harnesses.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 3:59 PM
to answer the actual question that started this topic-in NYS your car WILL pass inspection with no airbags. the only light that an inspection pays attention to is the mil. the airbag light is simply a 'recommendation' as in-'i recommend you have us take a look at why your air bag light is on so that we can fix the problem that may be causing it' your choice to get rid of it or keep it.

-john
Tuesday, June 21, 2005 6:12 PM
i'm pretty sure it's illegal , but i pulled my bag out on the drivers side in order to put an aftermarket wheel on there but i cant find anyone that makes the adapter kits for them does anyone else know where i can get the kit? or does it go right on????

NEW SIG COMING SOON FOR 07'!!!
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 9:31 AM
what kind of wheel do you have?? just have any of the companies around here get you a momo adapter

Click Here for PIX!!
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 11:14 PM
Are there aftermarket wheels that have airbag support? That's what I would be most interested in. We have the most hidiously designed wheel i've ever seen. I would like a replacement wheel, that still had an air bag. Would it be possible to swap one in from another vehicle?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search