Question about airbags - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question about airbags
Thursday, June 16, 2005 8:40 PM
How stupid would I be to want to turn my airbag off ... I know I can't turn it off without doing something to the wiring but I guess I'm wondering if it's possible to make it so make airbags don't work lol maybe?

Re: Question about airbags
Thursday, June 16, 2005 8:46 PM
Why would you want to? Airbags are designed to save your life, not to mention the fact that your insurance company isn't going to be happy and might even cancel you. I doubt anyone will tell you how, nobody wants a death or serious injury on their conscience (not knocking your driving skill, you never know what can happen out there).
Thursday, June 16, 2005 8:56 PM
Your not very stupid. I got rid of mine a while back when I installed my MOMO wheel. I think its a matter of prefrence. I really don't think airbags do anything in a crash. To turn them off you would probably just disconnect the plugs that go to each airbag. Like the steering wheel one and the passenger dash one. Make sure to disconnect the battery terminal before doing any work.

Friday, June 17, 2005 6:53 AM
yeah they dont do much accept keep your face from biting the dash or steering wheel, or the windsheild...other than keeping your face one peice, they dont do anything.

Friday, June 17, 2005 8:42 AM
I have a custom steering wheel and i have a monitor in my passenger air bag compartment. All you have to do is disconnect your battery and then you have a plug you have to disconnect from the air bag. Its that simple.
Friday, June 17, 2005 10:58 AM
or pull the fuse perhapse?

96 cavi'/WI j's
Friday, June 17, 2005 12:08 PM
I don't understand you people... You replaced your passenger airbag, with a monitor...? So what happens if someone rear ends your car going 45mph+...? Your passenger flies head first into a monitor...? I'm sure your insurance company just loves you, lol
Friday, June 17, 2005 3:01 PM
its called a show car. Show cars customize things and most people hardly ever drive a show car. Plus what makes a difference if you have air bags or not old cars dont have them and people drive them everyday. My everyday driver is an 89 nissan without air bags. I hope i dont get hit.
Friday, June 17, 2005 3:53 PM
ive done some looking into this issue since i wanted an aftermarket wheel... airbags sometimes hurt more than help (can cause facial damage, etc), but in a high speed collision, they're all that's between you and your dash and firewall. if you want to remove them and have NO risk of being more injured, get a roll cage, harness bar, and 4-or-more-point harnesses. that would keep you pretty safe and planted in your seat.

Friday, June 17, 2005 4:15 PM
rob wrote:ive done some looking into this issue since i wanted an aftermarket wheel... airbags sometimes hurt more than help (can cause facial damage, etc), but in a high speed collision, they're all that's between you and your dash and firewall. if you want to remove them and have NO risk of being more injured, get a roll cage, harness bar, and 4-or-more-point harnesses. that would keep you pretty safe and planted in your seat.

I agree 100% and if for the people that don't wear a seat belt but say its okay cause you got an air bag think twice they are designed to work together. My las accident (02 Z24) the fireman said I had an above 90% chance of dieing if i didn't wear my seatblet cause I'm so tall the airbag should have broke my neck (pin between airbag and roof). besides if people are that worried about it get a roll cage.. As for removing them yeah I think you just pull the plug and electrical tape the damn light lol

Friday, June 17, 2005 4:41 PM
Fatalic CAVI wrote: As for removing them yeah I think you just pull the plug and electrical tape the damn light lol

All you haev to do to remove them is to unhook the Negatie side on the batter for 60-90 minutes (the reasoning for this is the SRS system holds a power charge for up to 45-60 minutes maybe longer? to deploy airbags. So if you dont let it sit after you've pulled the negative off the battery, they'll deploy when you mess w/ them.) then after that, all you have to do is pull off the dash and unplug the airbag and remove it [passenger side], as for the drivers side goes the same way accept theres a little more envolves w/ the SRS stuff after you have the Airbag removed. lol I also installed an aftermarket steering wheel, so i've been there. But it's simple enough, just remember let the car sit for at least 60 min AFTER you UNPLUG the negative on the battery, then you'll be fine. The SRS a.k.a. Airbag light will now be on whenever your keys are in the ignition or driving, so if you dont want an annoying red light, then Fatalic was right, I just put a few small peices of Electrical tape over the icon in the back, and you never know the airbags are out (less you have an AM steering wheel .. lol) works great!

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
-Saint Augustine

Friday, June 17, 2005 4:49 PM
Personally i think its stupid to take our your airbags......My friends life was spared because his airbag did go off......If it didn't go off he might not have been so lucky.

And as far as show cars go....yes i understand you do it for show reasons.....but you still have to drive it from show to show......imagine if you get hit going to a show....(if you think it doesn't happen your wrong).......

I,m cool with taking out your airbags on a show car if you have done EVERY other possible mod to your car. (few will ever get to that point though)

People aren't trying to knock your ideas.....their just trying to keep you alive in a crash.
Friday, June 17, 2005 10:31 PM
doesnt take 60-90 minutes, in that amount of time i had my entire dash, both airbag, steering wheel all the way to the firewall sitting on my workbench.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, June 19, 2005 2:19 AM
well i dunno how long the charge lasts for the deploying unit.. all i know is i let it sit longer than whut it's supposed to, so when i have a screw driver or a tool in my hand the air bag wont dispurse and send a toll into my hand, arm, chest, head.. I like me not bleeding badly and having tools stuck in me. LOL Seen it happen with a kid and a Nissan 300ZX. Screwdriver went clean thru his hand. I'd rahte rbe safe than sorry.

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
-Saint Augustine
Monday, June 20, 2005 1:03 PM
nothing wrong with being safe, i still make sure im away from the bag when i unplug it, but once its unplugged (yellow plugs) your pretty much good to go.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search