Cutting 5spd. shifter - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cutting 5spd. shifter
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 12:21 PM
Lately I have been wanting to slice my shifter a little bit to make it lower. I searched and couldn't find any answers to the questions I have. First off, how far down have the people who cut theirs cut it? Second, is it a lot harder to shift, find gears, ect.? And third, What should I cut it with?

I am not looking to buy a short shifter, I'd just like to cut it down a bit.

I'm kind of scared to do this because I don't want to ruin it lol..so some feedback would be nice.

thanks guys

Chad

Re: Cutting 5spd. shifter
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 12:27 PM
chad......u need to ask drew morgan.....he did that to his cavy......i think if i remember right he told me that it works fine.....and its easy to find the gears

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 12:52 PM
^^ holy big sig

anyway i know a few that have done it. honestly short throws are cheap. like 130 from karo w/ free shipping. anyway you probably wanna take about an inch off (from what i heard thats a comfortable spot so you can have your arm on the center console and it wont hurt your wrist. as for the gears, i imagine it would be the same

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 2:16 PM
LOL Andrew...downsize that bad boy....I'll ask andrew next time i see him...

ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)-thanks for the reply....i would just buy one but i don't have the money right now so im just ghonna chop it.

Chad
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 4:16 PM
I've heard its a no no, but if u dont like it, just save for the short shifter...i love mine...

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 5:49 PM
i cut about an inch and a half off of mine. Its easy to find the gears, just takes a little bit more pressure to get them there. it actually makes the shifts take longer. i just did mine for a show i was entering. my short shifter will be ordered soon.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 8:03 PM
i cut mine last year, i used a saw and it took me an hour to chop off an inch of it,,looks good, shifting into gear isn't as smooth as it was, i'm definately gonna get a b&m short throw real soon,
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 8:09 PM
i was happy with mine, i used hack saw, didnt take very long, i think i took off 1 3/4" cannot remember though

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search