Tinting the Cavi's windows - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tinting the Cavi's windows
Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:41 PM
HOW IN THE WORLD DO I TINT THE BACK WINDOW? It curves so much and creases like crazy. How did you guys do it? I have 4 pieces but one I ruined already. ANd how do you get to the bottom of the deck panel? Can that be taken out so I can reach down there better? Please help me with tinting the back window, my 98 cavi wasnt this hard. I have a 2003 2 door cavalier. the front and sides i got on pretty easy. i wish they were all as easy as the rear side windows.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity"

Re: Tinting the Cavi's windows
Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:21 PM
Get a professional thats how Im going to do it.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:43 PM
use a heat gun it helps with the bends
Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:20 PM
so the heat gun is used for the creases because it dries the stuff behind it right? thats not a bad idear.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:32 PM
The heat gun lets you stretch and contract the tint.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:26 PM
TheSundownFire (JBO Chat) wrote:Get a professional thats how Im going to do it.

qft, the regular windows are'nt hard to do because they're only curved up and down, the rear windshield is curved up and down and left to right, which makes it a pita! that's y most professionals use 6 inch strips of tint to do this type of thing, one big sheet will bubble on you pretty much no matter what you do, as stated take it to a professional, it'll save you alot of hassle.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:09 AM
why take it to a pro learn something new its really not that hard

then once u got the hang of it try it on yr head or tail lights.
just dont go to dark

we did it to my buddy's neon

good luck
Wednesday, October 21, 2009 10:23 AM
i got the side and front windows on just fine because they were easy. the rear window is still a pain because its curved so much it creases so easily and never looks right. i got one strip on , but i wasted a strip and now im stuck with no tint again. sigh. im gonna take it to a pro just for the back window

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:18 AM
that's what i ended up doing, i did my back one's and the little back ones, i even tried the back windshield several times but it's just too much of pita.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:03 PM
yeah this is my second time doing the back window and i failed agian. its next to impossible without being a pro at it. it curves so much and its IMPOSSIBLE to get the creases out. I can do the middle decently but when it comes to the bottom and top pieces, forget it, so hard. Where at near Ephrata, PA can i get just the rear window tinted and how much am i looking for labor plus tint in 35 percent?

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:47 PM
it does'nt matter what tint you put on, it should all b the same price.
as for how much it costs it really depends on area. i got a quote of 75 to do my rear windshield 6 months ago.
look up in ur phonebook the different tint shops. any glass professionals, or performance shops should do tint.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:14 AM
Its really not that hard if you have watched a pro do it. Just need the right tools. The most important thing with tinting is patience.

The good pros can do the rear window in one piece, mine is and theres no bubbles. Multiple pieces looks like poo.

Friday, October 23, 2009 9:23 AM
and another option would be to remove the window and install the tint...then reinstall...i had safelite pull the old one out and i was able to tint it then they reinstalled it...it only cost me like 50 bucks...that was my other 03 cavy i had...

2003 LS SPORT: suspension and brake upgrades for now...motor and boost coming son

2008 Cobalt SS/TC: the fast car
Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:34 AM
Scott (Silver Z) wrote:Its really not that hard if you have watched a pro do it. Just need the right tools. The most important thing with tinting is patience.

The good pros can do the rear window in one piece, mine is and theres no bubbles. Multiple pieces looks like poo.

one peice rears FTW!!!

only the good shops do that!

there is a place called hostile customs
that specializes in one peice rear windows
its somewhere in PA. dont rememeber where tho.

only reason i know this, is caz im friends with them on myspace.
caz i was in a OH/PA car group with some guys in PA...never meet up with them.
caz im from OH, and they lived too far away for me to drive out. lol. i think it was around
Reading, PA area....or something like that, or a city near by there....

Saturday, November 07, 2009 5:09 PM
someone on here has got to know how to tint the rear window in strips or one piece? i know it was so much easier on my 98 cavi cus i guess it was only curved up and down, but the 03 model has it curved left, right, up , down , sideways , backways etc.....how do i do it, its gotta be done. im not spending 100 to get the rear window tinted, thats what all the shops charge.
justin

Saturday, November 07, 2009 5:34 PM
well, ur gonna have to search more then man, i tried mine twice. i simply don't have the patience for it, just remember tinting is all about patience.

otherwise take it to a professional man, if you want it to look good and u can't get it to look good don't just do a half assed job.

Saturday, November 07, 2009 6:50 PM
Tinting on a compound curve is like wrapping a watermelon with newspaper and not making any creases. In other words, it can't be done..There is only one way of doing this and it is in strips. So I guess my best bet is to be patient, make strips and install them...I did strips just fine but the top and bottom is where i was having trouble...The top has those little bubbles and the air pockets seem to stay in there, anyone with experience with this please reply. I think I can do the rest. Thanks!
Justin

Saturday, November 07, 2009 7:25 PM
i did mine in one piece, and even got it to stick to the dot matrix at the top. it takes a lot of practice, patience and know how. if your a beginner i suggest taking it to a professional it will save you a lot of headaches, and they can prob have it done in an hour.
Sunday, November 08, 2009 5:26 AM
I called a local tint shop while my entire interior was pulled out they came over and had it done within an hour and a half. Some things I just don't tamper with, and tint is one of them. Support your local economy.

FOR SALE
Sunday, November 08, 2009 7:41 AM
i normally agree with learning yourself. but unless you want to start tinting for yoru friends and such its one of those things just easier to have a pro do and be done with it. how many pieces of tint will you waiste trying to get it right? how much time will you spend on something your only going to do a couple times in your life anyway.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, November 09, 2009 8:22 AM
Drifted Cavy aka: Suicidal Cav wrote:I called a local tint shop while my entire interior was pulled out they came over and had it done within an hour and a half. Some things I just don't tamper with, and tint is one of them. Support your local economy.

Same here...HAd them do it when I re did my door and deck speakers and everything was out. 1 piece back window and all in about an hour...gave me a cut on the price also since my interior was already out.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search