winter 180 - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
winter 180
Monday, December 22, 2008 5:53 PM
Ok so it was 5am, I'm going 50 (KPH) on packed snow going straight. Suddendly i start to spin (don't know why), go across 1 lane (nobody around) and hit the curb probably still goin 35-40 heard a loud *clunk* and bounced up onto the median. Luckly I could drive myself out of it, i drove up the road a bit, pulled into a driveway and did a walk around.
Other then a little scrape on the rim i couldn't see much wrong. Tire holds air. But now driving on the highway (100) and even in town (60) I am hearing a vibration humming noise. Its not constant and it doesn't matter bout the speed. its like ------~~~~~-------~~~~~~ and just hums, then stops, hums then stops. Doesn't happen at low speeds tho.

Also very slight vibration which i think is prob a mis alignment or balance issue?? (maybe snow)

It does not pull to either direction.

Do you think it is unsafe to continue driving it on the highway with such symptoms? (I have 4 more night shifts to do b4 my days off)

Anyway I'm planning on taking it in to get it checked, but I thought maybe someone here might have experienced something similar and could shed some light on my problem.

Any help is appreciated

Re: winter 180
Monday, December 22, 2008 6:01 PM
to play it safe, get a new wheel bearing, have you tires balanced and get an alignment.

00 cavalier (5 speed, 2200) 84 chevy c-10 (v-8, 700r4) 64 volvo 122 ( everything......)
Re: winter 180
Tuesday, December 23, 2008 3:31 PM
I did something similar and after looking at the rim for a while I noticed that the whole outer edge was bent in a little. Like half of the rim was like this though so it was very unnoticeable. My car had the same symptoms as yours.

Once you hit the higher speeds does your steering wheel vibrate any? I switched the rim onto the back and its basically gone now. Don't even notice it anymore, and I'm getting new rims all together in the spring so it will do fine until then.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search