LF,RF,LR,RR What do they mean? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LF,RF,LR,RR What do they mean?
Saturday, November 22, 2008 4:25 PM
When tires are changed a shop will mark them "LR,RR" etc.. I know that LR means Left Rear and so on.. My questions are:

1) Do the letters mean the location of the tire when they were removed OR do the letters mean the location on the car where they should go when put back on?
2) I am assuming "Left" means driver side and "Right" means passenger side. Am I correct?

Basically I am taking my LS Sport rims and tires off my "winter" car and putting on my studded snow tires (already on rims). I had these on last year and I basically want to rotate them from how they were on last winter. I'm thinking I put them on like so:
"LF" on Passenger Side Rear
"LR" on Passenger Side Front
"RF" on Driver's Side Rear
"RR" on Driver's Side Front

Is that correct?

Re: LF,RF,LR,RR What do they mean?
Saturday, November 22, 2008 4:42 PM
Question 1 is:
Quote:

location of the tire when they were removed

Question 2:
Left is driver side, right is passenger side

So, should be this

Quote:

"RF" on Passenger Side Rear
"RR" on Passenger Side Front
"LF" on Driver's Side Rear
"LR" on Driver's Side Front

Saturday, November 22, 2008 4:42 PM
Correction:
Quote:

"RR" on Passenger Side Rear
"RF" on Passenger Side Front
"LR" on Driver's Side Rear
"LF" on Driver's Side Front

damn no edit button

Saturday, November 22, 2008 5:03 PM
this question had to seriously be asked?

WiGM-Tuners member.
Saturday, November 22, 2008 5:11 PM
left and right is considered from the drivers seat.

Saturday, November 22, 2008 5:17 PM
02 redbadged (now premium) wrote:this question had to seriously be asked?

Some people honestly don't know the answer <shrugs>

Saturday, November 22, 2008 5:26 PM
Kardain, Darkstars

Thanks!

Sunday, November 23, 2008 1:04 AM
just cuz thats how they were marked, dont mean they NEED to go back on a certain way lol. put the best 2 up front, other 2 on back. after they wear a bit, heres a few ways you can do a rotation (every 6000 miles or every other oil change).

#1 is for directional tires ONLY. many snow tires are directional. Are yours?

#2 sucks.

#3 is for all front drive cars, if they are NOT directional.

#4 is for rear drive and trucks, if they are NOT directional.

hope it helps!

Did I mention I drive a 2000 Lumina now?-----wigm-tuners.org member
Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:08 AM
Matt,

That is very helpful. Thank you.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:20 PM

I have always wondered the same thing. I'm sure every shop is different do might do it different. Meaning some might mark as where they came off from, while others mark it as where they are going.

FU Tuning

Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:37 PM
John Higgins wrote:

I have always wondered the same thing. I'm sure every shop is different do might do it different. Meaning some might mark as where they came off from, while others mark it as where they are going.

The general standard is as it is form the drivers seat. That's who its labeled for all warranty items and technical information, they tend not to say drivers side or passenger side because that can change depending on country, but from the drivers seat is the same no matter where you go, doesn't matter if its a right hand drive, left hard drive, a motorcycle, etc.. it will always be the same.

The problem isn't shops its customers, if there's a headlight on the drivers side out and brake light on the drivers side out, you would be surprised how many customers will say the left brake light and the right headlight are out. Usually a customers perception of left and rigt changes depending on weather they are in front or behind the car.

Friday, November 28, 2008 8:10 PM
Darkstars wrote:
John Higgins wrote:

The general standard is as it is form the drivers seat. That's who its labeled for all warranty items and technical information, they tend not to say drivers side or passenger side because that can change depending on country, but from the drivers seat is the same no matter where you go, doesn't matter if its a right hand drive, left hard drive, a motorcycle, etc.. it will always be the same.

The problem isn't shops its customers, if there's a headlight on the drivers side out and brake light on the drivers side out, you would be surprised how many customers will say the left brake light and the right headlight are out. Usually a customers perception of left and rigt changes depending on weather they are in front or behind the car.

Not sure why you went into that, but maybe you did not understand what I meant. I understand everything is from the drivers seat.

FU Tuning

Friday, November 28, 2008 8:20 PM
John Higgins wrote: I'm sure every shop is different do might do it different.

Thats why. I'm not saying you don't/didn't understand. I'm saying it doesn't really vary from shop to shop, that is basically the industry standard.

Saturday, November 29, 2008 2:46 PM
sorry i have to laugh....

but yes mostly when we balance tires we mark the inside of the with the side its coming from or if its a balance and rotate them the side its going to with lr, rr, lf, rf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, November 29, 2008 2:47 PM

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search