Horrible TIRE WEAR - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Horrible TIRE WEAR
Tuesday, November 04, 2008 5:59 PM
Okay i have 215/45/18 Nitto Neo Gen tire on my cavalier!! I've had the tires on the front for like 3 months maybe I bought them brand new and had them put on and had the front end alignment on them after i lowered it and they went slick in those 2 or 3 months I've had them!! I had the same tires on there before and they did the same thing and i'm getting curious of why the H*** they are doing that

L!L C@VI

Re: Horrible TIRE WEAR
Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:13 PM
quit doing burnouts

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Tuesday, November 04, 2008 7:49 PM
lol well its either burnouts, the wheels aren't sitting properly on the hub, camber, over inflation, under inflation.

You say you got an alignment after you lowered so that removes one of the possible causes.

What type of wear? The complete tread is bald in three months? Just the outer or inner tread?

Check the link below and compare it to get an idea of what the cause is because without pics for us to maybe see it is hard to determine if there is a problem or if you are abusing the hell out of the tires.

Click

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 7:51 PM
Maybe your alignment isnt correct.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 3:16 AM
yea its hard to say without knowing what kind of wear. is it just the center of the tire? inside? outside?

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 5:02 AM
post a pic of the odd wear. those used to seeing this type of stuff can probably tell whats wrong

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @
innovativetuning@rogers.com

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Wednesday, November 05, 2008 3:05 PM

here they are driver and passenger

L!L C@VI
Wednesday, November 05, 2008 3:06 PM
I Left pictures can you take a look at the tire wear

L!L C@VI
Wednesday, November 05, 2008 4:08 PM
Well, that's pretty thorough wear. I'd say it's either a case of abuse, or else your toe-in in horribly wrong and the tires are scrubbing off.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Wednesday, November 05, 2008 4:35 PM
I would have to second the toe theory.

camber would not do that, castor should rarely wear the tires, worn shocks will give bad cupping, its not over or underinflation,

they are some worn out tires, as a guess the likely max in miles would be like 2500 miles.
I think the treadwear is like a 300, which should do ok, something like 20000 miles at least.

so unless you get two sets of tires with a bad batch of tires, than in is likely going to be the toe,

should have alighnment checked again, its not too expensive and will save big bucks in tires.

good luck

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 5:05 PM
actually. you should go to the tire shop you bought your tires and see what they think. if its a bad toe issue from your alignment then go back to the alignment shop and demand they buy you new tires. tires are to @!#$ expensive to be having replaced because of someones @!#$ty work.

Thursday, November 06, 2008 8:00 AM
If it happens to be a bad toe adjustment, I'd have to wonder if you ever noticed handling problems? I'd expect that car to be twitchy and wander a lot with that much scrubbing.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Thursday, November 06, 2008 10:30 AM
bad to will cause a heavier wear band on the fronmost edge of the tire. Honestly it looks like that alignment is dead nuts, maybe a tad heavy on the inward toe. But that seems to be way to even across the body of the tire to be an excessive toe issue.

Looks like those have had a short, hard life. Do they have any kind of prorated tread warranty?

Thursday, November 06, 2008 4:07 PM
how many miles are on the tires?
and do you do burnouts in them all the time?

to have 2 sets do that, it has to be a few of a short list of things.

abuse is the most likely.

I don't know if the quality of the tires, but if they are a crap tire(I don't think they are that bad), then that could be why too.

it is rare, but their could have been a bad batch of tires produced, but if you had 2 sets that did the same thing than I would think it was the car, or crap tire.

alignment wise, I think the toe is the major thing that could wear them like that (however it does look very even across the tread), but it may not be the case.

this one is odd, I would say try a different tire

Thursday, November 06, 2008 5:49 PM
See thats what i don't get i mean i heard they weren't that bad of tires but the back tires don't do that so i don't think its the tire......And i don't burn outs at all on them and there is prob not even 4,000 miles on those tires...... i'm just going to try different tires and check to make sure nothing is lose or worn out under the front!!!!

L!L C@VI
Friday, November 07, 2008 12:07 PM
ya as bad as the wear is, its pretty even.

get them off soon, unless my eyes are fooling me i think i see steel chords...

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Friday, November 07, 2008 12:28 PM
Just looks like to me that you need to tone down the spirited driving.

Friday, November 07, 2008 5:49 PM
Bagged Base Coupe (Tinkles) wrote:Just looks like to me that you need to tone down the spirited driving.

Upon further look at the pics and a 280 treadwear I tend to agree with this guy. I have had my Azenis 615's for about 20K of spirited driving and they are in far better shape than your tires.

Monday, November 10, 2008 4:32 AM
i dont think its a result of spirited driving. may not have helped, but generally spirited driving means high speed corner taking. takng corners at high speeds tend to lead to outside shoulder wear and wear on the sidewall of the tire from the tire rolling over onto the sidewall during such heavy cornering.

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search