Are McGard Spline Drive tuner lug nuts safe to use with stock steelies? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Are McGard Spline Drive tuner lug nuts safe to use with stock steelies?
Sunday, October 19, 2008 11:56 AM
I am going to be re-painting my stock 15" steelies soon so they will look halfway decent for winter. I am also wanting to replace the $hitty looking stock open ended lug nuts. I had the black plastic covers on them last winter, but those never seemed to want to stay on for any length of time and always end up falling off going down the road. Needless to say, I am getting really tired of going to the junkyard to get replacements .

I am wondering if McGard Spline Drive tuner lug nuts would be safe to use with the stock steelies? I just went out and held up one of my tuner lug nuts to the steelies and it seemed like it would be okay, but I want to double check before I actually order some. Any help is greatly apprecited. Thanks in advance.

Re: Are McGard Spline Drive tuner lug nuts safe to use with stock steelies?
Sunday, October 19, 2008 2:52 PM
If they are tapered at the seat like the stock ones then they should be ok

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, October 19, 2008 6:02 PM
Well, here are pictures and information for the two brands I am trying to decide between:

McGard:

Gorilla:

I am leaning towards the Gorilla ones since they are a regular style lug nut and not tuner style. I am assuming non-tuner style would work a lot better and be a lot safer with the stock steelies. Any more opinions and/or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sunday, October 19, 2008 7:05 PM
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=GOR-21133BC&N=700+1003+4294919065+115&autoview=sku

These would be the tuner counterpart but the part of the lug that fastens to the wheel looks about the same. I always thought tuner lugs were just smaller in diameter to fit the smaller holes in aftermarket wheels plus I'm pretty sure my tuner lugs seated well on my steelies although I never drove on 'em.

Monday, October 20, 2008 8:35 AM
I ran the McGards last year on my snow tires/steelies just fine last year.

"Thank you little roots; Stay strong." Chris Farley
Monday, October 20, 2008 11:56 AM
Has anyone else used either the McGards or the Gorillas on their stock steelies?

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:34 AM
yeah, I have the gorillas, the tapered seat fits and works fine.

no problems in the 4 years i used them in winter.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 11:06 AM
x2 for Gorillas on steelies, no worries, just do it.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 7:49 PM
Great! Thanks guys! At least now my crappy steelies will look somewhat better .

Friday, October 24, 2008 3:27 PM
The only difference between "tuner" lug nuts and regular ones is their physical size. "Tuner" lugs ARE made for the smaller bolt holes in most aftermarket wheels. The only thing that matters is the seat and thread pitch. As long as the seat is the correct style and size, and the thread pitch is correct, you can use either on any type of wheel as long as they physically fit.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search