how strong (how much torque) is the stock tranny/clutch? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how strong (how much torque) is the stock tranny/clutch?
Sunday, July 26, 2009 2:48 PM
hey yall- i used to frequent this forum when i still had my 2000 Z24 and have not checked up on the Js in a long time. I've recently been missing my old cavvy so much i'm about to start a project; a late model (looking at an '03) cavvy with high mileage to rebuild and turbocharge. After watching the new cobalt SS running mid-low 14s in stock form my old love was ressurrected. enough about that, but i figured ill reintroduce myself.

I'm looking to replace or rebuid the high mileage 2.2 eco from a 2003 cavvy 5-speed. Plans include forged internals and lower compression pistons along with the regular bolt-ons and around 14 PSI from a T3/4; hoping that will allow me to break well into 13s with a sleeper that is also used as a daily driver that i can put another 100,000 on.

What i'm wondering is what kind of transmission troubles will be expected? I'll use a lighter flywheel and an upgraded clutch, with stiffer susspension and probably an LSD with street tires, running the casual strip; around 10 passes a week. For you transmission gurus out there please let me know if i should do anything other than clean the 5-speed on an '03 with ~100,000 miles and getting around 300hp pushed into it?

thx in advance.

PS if you have a turbo ecotec please post so i can review your mods and perhaps get some ideas! I'm biting off more than i can chew so i'de love to have a few experienced turbo-eco people i can occasionally consult if you dont mind =)

Re: how strong (how much torque) is the stock tranny/clutch?
Monday, July 27, 2009 1:39 AM
-Don't bother with the lightened flywheel........... revs faster but it's not worth the trouble they cause (vibes, false knock, false misfires, aluminum not holding up to the TQ of studs, ETC., makes for a really fantastically over priced paper weight.)

-Haven't found a good street clutch that isn't annoying in some way or another thats rated for high TQ in our tranny, not to say there isn't but I Haven't found it. (Not to mention 300+ kills them just as fast anyway.)

-Street car just leave the stock clutch in it........... (people will argue this but I've done em all and the stock clutch is my preference and driveability is hands down GREAT!) Stock clutch is fine with 300+ whp so long as you Don't slip it in first while getting all throttle happy. 1st and 2nd are useless anyway with 300+ so you need to ease into it with throttle rather than clutch and the stocker seems to hold up just fine (surprisingly fine). Just remember anything thats still good for street will not last long with said HP/TQ

-I'm pretty impressed with Team Green Differential insert ( definently powers through hard cornering now with no problem, drastically alters understeer in a good way)

- Don't bother with lower compression pistons either if your only gonna run 14 PSI on a T3/4 but again preference. (people will argue this too but my experience with the 10:1s speaks for itself)

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search