Only have 1st 3rd and 5th gear - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Only have 1st 3rd and 5th gear
Wednesday, November 29, 2006 12:19 PM
I heard of this happenin to cable transmissions, whats the verdit on the solution. Cable bad or worse? thanks for the help in advance guys

"sometimes the respect is more important..."

Re: Only have 1st 3rd and 5th gear
Wednesday, November 29, 2006 2:10 PM
last time that happened to me my tranny was shot!! I would have it checked man.

THE BEST SIG EVER THE REAL ONE IS TOO EXPLICIT!!!

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 3:52 PM
I'm guessing one of your shift cables popped off, 1,3,5 are on one cable, 2,4,R are on another, looks like you lost the 2,4,R cable.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 5:59 PM
Shifted wrote:I'm guessing one of your shift cables popped off, 1,3,5 are on one cable, 2,4,R are on another, looks like you lost the 2,4,R cable.

NOPE!!! lol

Actually forward to back motion, so gear select is on one cable and side to side motion switching between sets of gears aka 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and R, is on another cable. its ok rOn it was a long drive to Texas

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 6:06 PM
so i can manually put it into gears at the transmission and only put it into 1st 3rd and 5th in the car but nothing in the other gears. Any ideas on a fix guys? Someone said that maybe one of the cables is stretched, sound like it could be that?

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 6:25 PM
your cable is bad..plain and simply..get out and take it off youll probably see it plain as day...what happens is when your going 1,3,and 5 is your pulling on the cable..not hard...but when you go 2,4,R then the cable is pushing on the linkage ..and if the cable or the sheath is bad then the cable will bow out and not push it...just take your cables off or get under your car and give a good look..odds are its damaged either on the linkage or near the exhaust manifold

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 6:50 PM
would it be a good idea to go ahead and replace them both? and would auto zone stock them? thanks guys

Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:35 PM
just now realized i forgot to say its most likely your shift cables

Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:56 PM
Quote:

would it be a good idea to go ahead and replace them both?

you cant replace just one...they come as a set..200 from gm i think...but if you cant get them any cheaper any where else just let me know ill see if i can hook you up with a gm discount

Friday, December 01, 2006 8:20 AM
autozone and oreilly's, the 2 biggest parts stores down here have them seperate but they cant even get one of them, the one is 60 bucks but i want to go ahead and replace them both so i will probably go that way if you wanna give me a ball park with shipping them to MO that would be awesome.

Saturday, December 02, 2006 8:19 AM
i can PROBABLY get you the set shipped for $90.oo but im going in for a work alittle bit today let me MAKE SURE of the price before i take any kind of money ok...i dont like people feeling screwed over

Saturday, December 02, 2006 8:31 AM
sweet man no prob any deal is better than no deal i really appreciate it scott i am gonna go yank the crap cables off and see what broke

Saturday, December 02, 2006 9:13 AM
need a lil help guys, never have taken shifter cables off before, got them off of the shifter no prob but how do you get them from under the console, the pieces that hold it to the shifter are too big to get it throught the hole under the car how do they come apart right there so you can get them out from under the console? thanks guys

Saturday, December 02, 2006 1:38 PM
nevermind got them out

Saturday, December 02, 2006 1:45 PM
I'd say your tranny is quite...odd

-Seth

Saturday, December 02, 2006 1:49 PM
silly you...when you're shooting for for something ALWAYS pick evens.....odds always looses...particularly over a jelly sandwich

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Saturday, December 02, 2006 5:48 PM
yea man if i didnt love my Z so much it would be history cause my girl is always on my back about it "you spend to much money on it, why dont you just get a new car?"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search