Cant Shift out of First HELP!!! - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cant Shift out of First HELP!!!
Wednesday, November 29, 2006 8:46 AM
96' Z 5 speed. Yesterday I am driving to work in the rain. I am at a stop light and I take off and the tires spin just a little bit so I short shifted into 2nd and it felt funny, can not really explain it expect it felt like i grinded into 2nd without the noise. When i let out the clutch it jerked cause it was still in first gear so i pushed in the clutch and jammed it into 2nd again and when i let out the clutch was still in 1st gear. I pulled over on the shoulder of the road and turn everything off sat there for a second and then started her up and took off in 1st and it did the same thing. I tow it home and it will not come out of 1st gear and shifter has very limited movement only backwards no side to side at all. HELP!!!! I replaced clutch about 4 months ago, friend thought it sounded like a throw out bearing. Thanks for help in advance guys

"sometimes the respect is more important..."

Re: Cant Shift out of First HELP!!!
Wednesday, November 29, 2006 2:31 PM
could be a through out bearing or one of your linkages may have come off
Re: Cant Shift out of First HELP!!!
Wednesday, November 29, 2006 3:09 PM
Could be a lot of things. Throwout bearings make noise normally before failing, they will make a noise ONLY when pressing in the clutch, did you notice any noise ever.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search