How to: Convert to an external slave transmission - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to: Convert to an external slave transmission
Saturday, November 25, 2006 11:39 PM
ok...not sure if people will use this or not, but I thought it was a good idea

Ok, there are really nice transmissions out there for 2.4 guys(W41, NVG550 etc..), but the biggest limitation isn't the shift cables, its the fact everyone is afraid to switch to an external slave. fact of the matter is...it's easy as pie..here's how I did mine.

Parts needed...
Ext Slave cylinder for new trans
Clutch fluid line that runs from the master to the slave

I am using my stock master cylinder, and my line came from a 92 Grand Am with the HO in it, however the HO really doesn't matter in this case. Odds are, you'll have to buy the slave and master with the line at the junkyard. Bring it all home

There is a little dowel pin that can be tapped out with a punch and small hammer, and maybe some needle nose to pull it once you got it started. Save the pin! Remove your factory master cylinder via both nuts on the firewall, and by prying the pushrod off the clutch pedal. Pop the pin out of the line of your factory slave line. Toss your old line aside, and install the new line, and tap the dowel pin in to hold it in place

remount your master cylinder, but do not run the nuts in all the way, attach pushrod to clutch pedal and assure the pedal is not pressed to the floor.

attach the other end of your line to your new ext slave cylinder, and tap the dowel pin in again.

time to bleed the clutch.

There is no bleeder screw on this setup, so its a little different. keep the slave at a lower altitude then the master at all times....while holding the slave vertically and the pushrod facing down (i found this to be easier from under the car) press the pushrod in, you'll hear lots of bubbles. a friend is helpful to refill the reservoir as necessary. continue until no air bubbles surface in the reservoir. Bolt in your slave, ensure it is going in straight, and you're done

fairly simple, and allows you to use a wider variety of transmissions since all the good ones are technically external slave.

is there any performance advantage? not that I know of, just easier slave replacement if it ever does go bad on ya, old one you gotta pull the tranny, new one...10 minute job haha

Re: How to: Convert to an external slave transmission
Monday, November 27, 2006 5:34 PM
nice write up man, i was wondering for that tranny on ebay that you got at only 150$ + shipping. i wanted that one but wasn't sure. now i know its possible.
pics would help.. if you can.
thanx

Re: How to: Convert to an external slave transmission
Monday, November 27, 2006 6:07 PM
go to photos and media...its in there haha

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search