Into Gear Grinding - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Into Gear Grinding
Friday, November 24, 2006 3:55 PM
well like the past 3 days my cars been doin this. i can go from first to second fine and then when i shift into 3rd it grinds a little everytime before it goes into position (when the shifter is bein pushed up not while letting off on the clutch). even with me pressing the clutch all the way down it still does it. what could cause this? clutch is goin out? if it somethin bad i'd like to get rid of it. thanks

2.340 - 60,
16.591 @ 80.52 - 1/4

Guesswho69000@hotmail.com

Re: Into Gear Grinding
Sunday, November 26, 2006 8:53 AM
no one has the slightest clue? could it possibly be because of low clutch fluid?

2.340 - 60,
16.591 @ 80.52 - 1/4

Sunday, November 26, 2006 10:51 AM
maybe 3rd gear syncro mine did the same thing and thats what it was
Sunday, November 26, 2006 11:41 AM
Normally 3rd gear syncros, arent double or triple cone snycronizers, they are just single. They tend to wear out faster.

Syncros are the most common cause of grinding though.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Sunday, November 26, 2006 9:12 PM
and what do i haveta do to fix those?

2.340 - 60,
16.591 @ 80.52 - 1/4

Monday, November 27, 2006 5:10 AM
Replace the transmission.

Monday, November 27, 2006 10:04 AM
only way? so should i plan on getting rid of it quickly?

2.340 - 60,
16.591 @ 80.52 - 1/4

Monday, November 27, 2006 7:16 PM
Yeah man it is an internal moving part of the manual transmission, everytime you shift to third the hub has to lock that gear. Things do wear out overtime.

I wouldnt say right away it has to be done, shifting nicely into third will buy you more time though. Sooner or later, most likely sooner it will need a new trans.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 6:31 AM
how much do used trannys go for if i look inot a junkyard? im lookin at other cars cuz i wanna get rid of this one if its goin bad. i looked at an integra yesterday but they only wanna give me 2175 for my car and they drove it.

2.340 - 60,
16.591 @ 80.52 - 1/4

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 7:39 PM
WHAT? You'd actually get rid of a car just because a trans went out?
You need to buy a new car then and trade it in right when the warrantees up because cars break down and thats life. Just fix it with a replacement transmission but walking away from a broken car(or a car with a known problem) and expecting to get any money for it and then go and buy another car is a bad move. Sorry to sound like I'm giving you a lecture but I know some of my friends parents always did this and now they own the worlds most exspensive cars beacuse they keep rolling loans over into a new car loan after the smallest crap happens to the vehicle they had. (I'm not saying I know your situation because you might not even have a loan to pay off but the pricipal of the fact still applies)

I just recently sold a low mile getrag tranny for $420.00 shipped from TX to CO.....there not hard to find or very exspensive. Remember, this is just some advice!....if you dont want it or dont like it thats ok......I meant this to be taken in the best possible way and not to sound like an a$$....I just really think some people dont know this and they should be told. My dad was about to walk away from his '02 intrepid when the trans went @ 125k and he owed 3k more than it was worth even if it rolled.......he was ready to get rid of it but I found him a trans and had it put in for $600.00 all said and done and now hes not screwed out of $7k.
Wednesday, November 29, 2006 10:16 AM
true but ive been lookin for a car for a little while. not just walkin away from it cuz of a probly i just want to go to a faster car. i know most dealers wont give me much for my car cuz its a cavalier with 105k miles on it. dont owe any money for it. this cars just not fast enough for me n its leakin engine oil like a bitch(rear main seal if our car has one, thats where it looks like its comin from) so i just need to get rid of it for the most i can. i dont think they knew that it has a tranny problem and i dont really expect to get much more out of it. the dealer said it might be worth more but they already have 2 on the lot but they are autos so.... another guy offered me 1500 on a trade in on a z24 so idk what to think. i could try callin around here for one but they dont give anything for less then they want out of it.

2.340 - 60,
16.591 @ 80.52 - 1/4

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 8:57 PM
Sounds like you know what your doing and your minds made up.........in that case get the Z man!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search