Synthetic Tranny fluid for Isuzu - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Synthetic Tranny fluid for Isuzu
Saturday, November 18, 2006 4:26 PM
I have already tried to search, but most answers were regarding the Getrag. I have a '99 Z with the Isuzu 5-speed. It is my daily driver and stays outside in the winter. I am considering changing the oil in the tranny to a synthetic hoping to get smoother shifting when cold. It now has 125k miles and the shifting is getting a bit notchy in the mornings and it is still in the 40s still. Really concerned when it drops below freezing in the coming weeks.

Any recommendations on which fluids to try? Personal experiences from those that live in areas similar to KC with the broad range of weather we have would be helpful. We go from 105F in the summer to 0F in the winter, so it has to put up with both extremes.

Re: Synthetic Tranny fluid for Isuzu
Sunday, November 19, 2006 7:27 AM
Syncromesh... the ONLY option... get it at the dealership.

Sunday, November 19, 2006 9:55 AM
Well I am assuming that is what is in it, so that wouldn't help much.

Sunday, November 19, 2006 5:09 PM
I've got synchromesh in mine that was changed less the 10k ago, and my tranny feels like molasses when it's cold. Hopefully someone has a good cold climate alternative.

Monday, November 20, 2006 10:35 PM
My uncle is a parts manager at a GM dealership in LA and he has always told me to run a good quality 5w30 full synthetic. I have ran that in probably 4 transmissions through the years of buying and selling j-bodys. I have never had a problem. Even ran it on my sedan when it had the turbo on it for 20k+ miles and never had any problems.. My .02 cents...

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 10:13 AM
you could also try syncromax from royal purple... i would stay away from oil as it doesnt have friction modifiers needed for the syncros... without those bye bye syncros

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 2:47 PM
Thanks Wrench Monkey, just did a quick google on it, and syncromax looks like some good stuff. I also agree with you on the 5w 30

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 1:43 PM
I use royal purple Synchromax in my NVG...

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, November 23, 2006 5:39 PM
i tried it all.

I found GM syncromesh works the best. ( currently 154k miles on the stock tranny)

Monday, November 27, 2006 1:04 PM
I am using Royal Purple SyncroMax as well. They list it as a replacement for GM syncromesh on Royal Purple's webpage. I have a little over 1000 miles on my rebuilt Isuzu with no issues

Jason
99 Z24
157hp/171tq
wheres my boost??
Saturday, December 02, 2006 7:20 AM
Evidently NONE of you have driven a car that calls for 75-90; you think it shifts hard, BOO

Think about this, for all DSM make cars, it’s a service bulletin to use GM synchromesh.
For most Honda and Acura cars it’s a service bulletin to use GM synchromesh.

FYI, synchromesh is 5w30 oil, with friction modifiers for the sync’s

But alas, people will always second guess things trying to make them "better"

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search