Need Help Slave Cylinder Problems, Diagnosis help Please! - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need Help Slave Cylinder Problems, Diagnosis help Please!
Thursday, November 16, 2006 8:18 AM
Here is the cituation, my GF had to get a new tranny in her 1996 Cavalier 2.4 Vert and so I figured while the engine and tranny were out I would rebuild the motor which I did. I got a tranny out of a 1997 Grand am and swapped them in no problems. Then after driving the car for a little while the clutch started to loose pressure. She has put 1200 miles on it and I have re blead the clutch 4 times. Now I am bleeding it every 5-7 days and it will hold but then fail.

So what could the problem be, clutch slave/master cylender or both or what? Also I got quoted 150$ from advanced for a slave cylinder but do I also need a master? I just did all the work doing the tranny swap and now this.

Also usually when I do an engine/trans swap I pull everything as an assembly since I do all my stuff on the ground no lift. I now have access to a lift, can I just support the engine drop the bottom core support tie and pull the trans out from the bottom?

Thanks
Chris

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible

Re: Need Help Slave Cylinder Problems, Diagnosis help Please!
Thursday, November 16, 2006 10:12 AM
Well the slave is part of the TOB. If it was bad it would leak instantly. Could be a clutch master cylinder, but check for leaks around the cap on the resevior.

FU Tuning

Thursday, November 16, 2006 11:51 AM
What does TOB stand for, I am not into abbreviations but I may have found the problem. I found a small amount of leakage where the clutch fluid line goes into the tranny I got half a turn on it so I am assuming that was it. Hopefully because I have done way to many engine swaps this year I have yet another to do next weekend, ugh.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 1:57 PM
Chris Fontana wrote:What does TOB stand for, I am not into abbreviations but I may have found the problem. I found a small amount of leakage where the clutch fluid line goes into the tranny I got half a turn on it so I am assuming that was it. Hopefully because I have done way to many engine swaps this year I have yet another to do next weekend, ugh.

TOB is throw out bearing, which the slave is apart of that. Sounds like you might have found the problem. Good luck.

FU Tuning

Thursday, November 16, 2006 5:30 PM
Sounds like you figured it out already. But, if you get hose pinch off pliers, after the pedal gets soft, pinch the rubber hose and step on the clutch. This will narrow down what the problem is. If the pedal gets firm, then the problem is after where you pinched the line.

Friday, November 17, 2006 5:59 AM
Not too sure, I did a quick bleed on the system (Just one Crack of the bleeder) and a lot of air came out. The pedal is okay but not satisfying, I am going to bleed the whole thing tonight, how many cracks should it take. There is not a ton of line but I think three should be decent.

I like the pinch diagnostics, that could be helpful, I just dont want to hurt the line though. What type of pliers, not vice grips right? Also I thought it was a hard plastic line?

Thanks
Chris

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search