Swap? yes, but to What? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Swap? yes, but to What?
Monday, July 24, 2006 6:03 PM
Ive got a 98 2200 Cavy and im trying to dispel some things ive heard about doing an auto to manual Tranny swap. Like i heard you have to play around with the bell housing if you get a tranny from a different year. Or I've heard that the Getrag is much better than the Isuzu but since that was 00+ i would have to mess with the bell housing, and they make brackets to do the swap from isuzu to getrag. Whats the deal with that? Other than the entire tranny and all the linkage, cables, master cylinder, etc for the actual car and interior parts, im looking at an upgraded flywheel, clutch, short shifter, poly tranny mounts, a new tranny cooler, a possible LSD? What am i missing? And i think an LSD is a little out of my league as far as installing with my dad/mechanic, or is it reasonable to do? Any help is appreciated.

Re: Swap? yes, but to What?
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 2:29 PM
If you're switching from auto to 5 speed, you have to weld in 5 speed mounts anyway.... it's up to you as to which ones you want to weld in... you're lucky in that you can use the isuzu or getrag... as both were available with the 2200 engine. You need to find one from a 2200 engine (not a 2.4L or a 2.2L Ecotec... it HAS to be from a 2200).

If you go with the Isuzu... it's gotta be from a 98 or 99 2200. 97 and older might work, as it's the 2.2L... but I'm not 100% sure on that. If you want the Getrag... has to be 00-02 2200. The ones from a 2.4L or Ecotec will not work, as the bellhousing is different.

Get the engine bay wiring harness too... for a 5 speed. Or just modify your auto harness and put on the plugs you need for the 5 speed (there's two connections... one for backup switch, one for VSS). The auto has a big plug with other two plugs on top.

The shifter, slave, master, etc... will be different between the Isuzu and Getrag... so get all that too. Don't forget about the clutch pedal... and if you want the smaller brake pedal, swap that assembly too. It's all together with the gas pedal.

Once you've got the transmission... you can start upgrading stuff. Lightened flywheel, clutch, short throw shifter, poly mounts, etc... you don't use a trans cooler on a 5 speed... LSD insert from Team GREEN is a cheap upgrade, but if you don't know how to tear down and rebuilt a transmission you may want to have a qualified shop do that for you.

I did my own swap from auto to 5 speed... cost me around $2000 with all the upgrades.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search