96 5spd swap?! i need ANSWERS! - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
96 5spd swap?! i need ANSWERS!
Saturday, July 22, 2006 4:28 PM
ok, i got all the parts from a 98 2200 for my 5spd swap into my 96, but here are the questions i cn NOT find any answers too! and YES i have done numorus searches too!!!

1) will my 3spd engine harness from my 96 work with the 98 5spd ecu, i know i can retro fit it to fit the 5spd, but i have no clue if the ecu will work with the harness!.
2) i have another 2200 auto parts car, can i use the rear mount from that as a front mount for the 5spd?
3) are the rear tranny mounts from the auto, the same as the 5spd's?

i need to know these answers very very soon, as for i am dooing the 5spd swap this week!

if the answer to all 3 questions are no, looks like me and the junk yards are gona be really good friends for a day! lol

Kardain wrote:Tonite on Fox:
When X's attack

Re: 96 5spd swap?! i need ANSWERS!
Saturday, July 22, 2006 7:46 PM
1. Yes
2. No
3. No

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Sunday, July 23, 2006 7:50 PM
well actually i did this swap from a 96 cavalier to a 97 and the computers were different so i would check and make sure....the one in my 96 has 3 plug connectors and the one out of the 97 had 2 long ones and they screwed in, so i would double check that first
Sunday, July 23, 2006 8:57 PM
Missed that part... it would work with another 96 ECU, but no, not a 98.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 12:44 AM
can i just cut the 96 plugs and use the plugs from a 98 ecu? (i have the plugs that were cut out of a 98, NO i didnt do the cuting, thats how i got the ecu.)

or should i really give up on the 5spd swap.

and just swap in a 2000 2200 2.2L and 4spd tranny, and rewire the whole car? [whats better? lol]

Kardain wrote:Tonite on Fox:
When X's attack

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 2:20 PM
If you just want more power... but like the automatic... then get a 2.4L w/ the 4 speed auto. It's a huge difference over the 2.2L 3 speed auto. Get one from a 96-98 car, and you only need to swap the engine bay harness. The mounts are the same. You might need axles... but at least it's an easy swap. No welding! Grab the 2.4L PCM and you're golden.

If you're going to swap to a 5 speed... you need to weld mounts. The auto has one single plate in the middle... the 5 speeds have two mounts, one front and one rear. They're different between 95-99 cars and the 00-05 cars. (95-99 Isuzu trans, 00-05 Getrag trans).

While you can take pretty much any PCM and get a GM dealer to reprogram it to the right one... it's a pain in the ass, and it's hard to find a dealer that knows what they're doing when it comes to that kind of custom work. (I had a hell of a time explaining how a 5 speed supercharged engine got into my formerly automatic 2.4L engine bay.)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search