Problem going from 1st to 2nd... - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Problem going from 1st to 2nd...
Sunday, July 16, 2006 6:18 PM
Alright, just like the title says, I'm having some trouble going from first gear into second. When I'm driving my car (04 Cav) "normal", like in the city or non-track, shifting is fine. The problem is when I'm under heavy acceleration or WOT. When I shift into 2nd, it makes a grinding noise, but I have the clutch all the way in. The shifter is where it would be if it was in 2nd, but the gear doesn't catch, it just makes a grinding sound. I have to let off the gas, put the shifter back into a neutral position, and then try again. This only happens going from 1st into 2nd. Any ideas, comments, or opinions on what the hell is going on? Thanks guys.

Re: Problem going from 1st to 2nd...
Wednesday, July 19, 2006 8:43 AM
i have an 02 2.2 ecotec and i have that problem when i hit to high of a RPM but only from 1st to 2nd i think it has to do with the high RPM and the syncros
Wednesday, July 19, 2006 12:53 PM
Definitely sounds like a problem with your syncros.
Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:58 PM
i have no idea what syncros is.
Monday, August 07, 2006 12:31 PM
try adjusting your shift cables. sounds like your shift cables might be off. if when you say ( The shifter is where it would be if it was in 2nd, but the gear doesn't catch )
Monday, August 07, 2006 2:48 PM
You have a bent shift fork. You can adjust the shift cables and it will help (for a short time). Only time and the shift fork is going to break and no second gear at all. I had this happen, and still have not second gear.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search