How to destroy a brand new clutch? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to destroy a brand new clutch?
Saturday, July 15, 2006 11:41 PM
Yesterday I went to my friends house to help him work on a car that his mom just bought for 600 bucks. Happened to be a 98 Sunfire w/ 2200. The kid sold her the car for that price becuase it has a 'blown tranny' Reason for that is, that the clutch went bad, so they had it replaced (i have no idea about where, or if done at home) and shortly after, the car quit moving under it's own power.

So, we tear into the car expecting it to have a blown slave cylinder. After removing the tranny, and finding that the input shaft actually turns the output of the tranny, we know it's not a blown tranny. Besides the fact that it didnt move, and didnt clunk doing so. Then I looked at the NEW pressure plate. No rust of any sort, still a nice silver color. I find that several of the fingers on it were bent to piss. So, i stated that "one way or the other, the clutch has to come out of this car. So, off comes the pressure plate, and the normal ammount of dust drops out when it comes loose. I nearly cut myself on the clutch disc. Here the clutch linings were completely gone. Both sides. The rivets were still on, but the clutch material had vanished, leaving behind a slight bit of black dust. The car is going to be back together tomorrow (not a bad car for 850 dollars worth of investment).

We know that the kid beat on this car pretty hardcore. I checked the diff, and it looked OK. Not spectacular, but it was ok for normal driving. My question is, which sounds more realistic. The clutch assembly had that much damage because of A) Improper installation B) Defective parts C) Abuse of the part, without allowing it to break in or D) All of, or a combination of the above?

I was personally leaning toward abuse and improper installation. Some of the pressure plate bolts were a lot tighter than the others. The clutch was installed and run for about 3 weeks before it was completely destroyed.

Re: How to destroy a brand new clutch?
Sunday, July 16, 2006 2:30 AM
I agree with you, could have been bad installation.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 5:51 AM
ive heard that if you do like 50+ on the freeway and force it into 1st with the clutch pressed in of course. just force it into first gear and the clutch should spin way beyond what its capable of. basically exploding it

Now Powered By TEAM GREEN

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643
boost will be soon for me....
thanks to mil county police in the state of wisconsin. I know that my window tint is rated at 3.7%
Wednesday, July 19, 2006 11:22 AM
I'm not able to push my tranny into 1st once i'm going over 30 or so mph. I've had it go into 2nd at 90mph, but when I let out on the clutch it pretty much locked the tires and slid down the appropriate speed.

Saturday, July 22, 2006 11:02 PM
To answer the subject's question -- let my g/f drive the car. In that timeframe, there will be no clutch left.

Monday, July 24, 2006 5:21 AM
^ haha same here ^

Monday, July 24, 2006 5:47 AM
SHOoff wrote:I'm not able to push my tranny into 1st once i'm going over 30 or so mph. I've had it go into 2nd at 90mph, but when I let out on the clutch it pretty much locked the tires and slid down the appropriate speed.

you dont try to let the clutch out................ u gotta press the clutch in and hold it....... never let it out......... once it goes into first it should spin at a high rate of speed in which it should explode its self........ ive never done it but chris taesch is the one that told me about it

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search