Short throw install cost? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Short throw install cost?
Saturday, July 15, 2006 12:37 PM
I had my B&M installed today in a 03 cavalier. The "pro" speed shop said they could install it in about an hour. When I went to pick it up I owed $140 because they said they had to take the console apart and it took 2 hours to install. For a speed shop that sells B&M's and claims to have installed hundreds of them before when I spoke to the owner he said that they had alot of trouble with it because its "much harder than a honda".

I was just wondering if anyone had their shifters installed by a shop and what the costs usually run. A friend of mine installed his own in about 45 minutes to an hour and he has no automotive/mechanical experience, if he was still in the state I would've had him do it for me but I figured it would be easier to let a professional speed shop handle it.

Re: Short throw install cost?
Saturday, July 15, 2006 7:12 PM
id say 1 hour to install, did mine myself.

Sunday, July 16, 2006 2:12 AM
I think it took me about 15 minutes.... but I had the console out already.

A buddy of mine installed his a couple of weeks ago... maybe an hour? We were drinking.... tends to slow us down

I can't say that the B&M shifter was "difficult to install".... pretty simple, and the instructions that come with it are about as good as you can get. Unless the shop is filled with monkeys, they should have had it done much faster. Maybe they just charged you 2 hours because you drive a domestic?

Sunday, July 16, 2006 2:28 AM
The manual for the 95-99 Shifter says 1.5 hours, so eh, as for being harder than Honda, dont ever go to that shop again, those guys are tools.

Sunday, July 16, 2006 10:23 AM
it took me about 2 hours to install my B&M on my old sunfire, but most of that was spent monkeying with the stock shift knob so I vould get that plastic ring off.

Sunday, July 16, 2006 1:36 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I just wanted to make sure I was being ripped off so that I don't go spending anymore money with those people. Very unprofessional place, even the way they handled my appointment should have told me that they were morons. When I wanted to speak to the owner or whoever actually worked on my car they got all pissy with me. Its funny because they claim to do work for all of the muscle cars in my area and yet they can't work on a chevy.
Monday, July 17, 2006 7:24 AM
its nice they can work on muscle cars but caviliers are just different. same thing with honda, not harder, just different. these guys probobly have gotten so caught up in doing the same cars over the years that they tried to do the cavi like it was a honda. two totally different cars

either way, you probobly could of done it yourself quicker and for less

------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
when you beat someone in a civic people wine and make excuses
when you beat someone in a cavalier they pull over and check under thier hoods
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search