Shift improver kit on 3 spd. - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Shift improver kit on 3 spd.
Monday, June 19, 2006 10:50 PM
Well i was lookin around searching the forums for something i could do to my 3 spd. for a little more kick and make it stronger. I found a post and alot more like it saying about the Shift improver kit from J Body Performance. If i was to get this and install it myself what all is involed and how long would it take?

http://www.jbodyperformance.com/new/PartDetails.php?partId=143&catId=143&catName=JP0143

Thats the kit^

Re: Shift improver kit on 3 spd.
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:13 AM
I've never even heard of that. I've only heard of the ShiftPlus or AutoTrans Interceptor.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 2:58 PM
Here's a couple of reads for you concerning the TH125C/3T40 three speed automatic: 3 speed auto, finally done and finally installed, By Event and Stock Torque Converters, 3 Speed Gears and more, by me. My post will give you more info about the shift kits that are available, along with some of the same info as Events post. Most of the images from Events post have expired.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 7:24 PM
I've read both of those threads aready, neither of them answered my questions. what all is involed in installin this myself and would i be able too...

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:31 PM
lol, what ever you do, dont get the one from jbody performance.. just go to jegs or summit and get the TRANSGO shiftkit for the th125c

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:32 PM
SKŪ125
THM 125 80-up
Corrects/Prevents/Reduces:3-2 clunk; lockup shudder; reverse slip; converter drainback delay; late shifts; soft 1-2; band failure.

thats the info off of transgo's website.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 6:05 AM
summit nor jegs has that kit... i just tried searchin for them

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 8:58 AM
You might have to try a locally owened transmission shop, one that carries TranStar Industries parts. I haven't worked with the JBP kit, but from what I hear it is just an overpriced version of the TransGo Shift Kit (see about halfway down the page, SKŪ125)

As for installing these kits, you have to remove the bottm pan and the side valve body cover. You don't have to remove the tanny to do this , but the car must be raised up and supported. The bottom pan is the same as doing a fluid and filter change. The side VB cover is a little more difficult. while the car is raised and su[pported remove the left fron tire and the plastic inner liner. Remove the drivers side trans mount (with the engine and tranny supprted), lower the engine tranny so that the passenger side mounts support them. You can now remove the cover and get to the valve body. Any time you work on the valve body, it is imperative that you keep it clean as possible, some of the valves in there will stick with just a piece of lint. There will be some drilling of the valve body and separator pltes involved. You will also need some feeler gauges and a micrometer(and/or dial gauge) needed to do some measurements. during reassembly, you need to make sure all parts are as clean as possible to prevent any problems. The instructions will tell you all the detailed information on how to do the mods necessary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, June 21, 2006 9:04 AM

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 12:32 PM
well from the sounds of that i'll let a shop do it lol

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 1:35 PM
Yeah, for our cars, it's not for the faint of heart. For most RWD applications, it's pretty easy, because the valve body is behind the pan.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search