Adjustments on a clutch? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Adjustments on a clutch?
Monday, June 19, 2006 8:08 AM
Not in a real rush to figure this out, but I'm new to A. Manual cars and B. Especially ones with hydraulic clutches.

Anyways here's my problem, my clutch doesn't always let me go into first, 2nd can be kind of rough, but 3rd and up are NO problem. What I mean is I put the clutch to the floor, go to put it in first, car says F-u, and it feels like there's a big wall in the way of trying to get into first.

What can be causing this? It doesn't do it all the time, just whenever it feels like it, and if I put it in neutral, lift up the clutch, then put it back in.. it lets me go into first, wtf? Sorry if this seems like a 100% noob question, but I'm new to manuals and newer cars (I've had all old f-bodies pretty much up until this point!)

thanks guys!

There will always be someone faster than you, but thousands slower and dumber than you.

Re: Adjustments on a clutch?
Monday, June 19, 2006 10:36 AM
check the master cylinder fluid. It may be low.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 7:03 AM
Nope, fluid level is fine, but it was really low when I got it, so my question would be...

Could it just be air in the line? and I just have to bleed it? Would it cause these sorts of symptoms?

There will always be someone faster than you, but thousands slower and dumber than you.
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 7:10 AM
You could have a stretched shift cable, if you can get your hand(s) under the hood above the transmission, with the aid of a helper select the gear using your hands above the transmission. If this works, then it has to be from the cables back to the shifter.
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 10:53 AM
If you are downshifting, the transmission won't let you mesh gears until you either force it in, or let the speed drop to where its safe. I've never heard of this problem when upshifting though.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:12 AM
On my car I always put it into 3rd before trying to shift into 1st or reverse. It seems to help, and it is actually listed in the owner's manual as a remedy for the tranny being picky.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:23 PM
Same thing for reverse. You put it in first then you go to reverse.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 6:22 PM
Pretty much like said go toanother gear before going to first. That is just a thing for the getrag.

FU Tuning

Friday, February 09, 2007 6:28 AM
F-body Guy wrote:Not in a real rush to figure this out, but I'm new to A. Manual cars and B. Especially ones with hydraulic clutches.

Anyways here's my problem, my clutch doesn't always let me go into first, 2nd can be kind of rough, but 3rd and up are NO problem. What I mean is I put the clutch to the floor, go to put it in first, car says F-u, and it feels like there's a big wall in the way of trying to get into first.

What can be causing this? It doesn't do it all the time, just whenever it feels like it, and if I put it in neutral, lift up the clutch, then put it back in.. it lets me go into first, wtf? Sorry if this seems like a 100% noob question, but I'm new to manuals and newer cars (I've had all old f-bodies pretty much up until this point!)

thanks guys!

bump on this, my trans is shifting just like this... it feels like it is hitting a wall on all upshifts

any ideas

Friday, February 09, 2007 6:25 PM
mine too... and on downshift 2nd grinds...
Sunday, February 11, 2007 1:03 PM
do all you guys have high milage on your cars, i was thinking maybe you all have worn synchros. just a guess.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search