Automatic Transmission Performance - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Automatic Transmission Performance
Sunday, June 18, 2006 6:47 AM
I remember reading something in Either Super Street or Sport Compact Car, that there is a certain something that can boost the performance of an Auto Tranny. I don't remember what they said it was (some kind of pump maybe?) but it's supposed to overcome th shortcoming of the automatics tendency to not have enough transmission fluid to do its job. Or something. Like I said, I don't really remember, but if anyone knows what I am talking about, or if they have any ways to boost the performance of an automatic Cavalier transmission (2002 2200, that is) then please respond. Thanks!

Re: Automatic Transmission Performance
Sunday, June 18, 2006 6:57 AM
Boost the line pressure? Autotrans or Shift plus can do it.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, June 18, 2006 8:57 AM
I've got a shift plus. Had it for a little over a month, for sure makes driving more fun and the shifts are 100X's better. I've only had it on for 3 times tho.

1998 Z24 Convertible
Mods: AEM Pulley Kit, AEM Full Intake, Apexi Muffler, 4-2-1 Header, APC Seats, Dropzone Coilovers, More to Come!
Sunday, June 18, 2006 10:40 AM
The auto trans is great if you have the 4 sp. but some 3 speed people are out of luck.

Sunday, June 18, 2006 2:35 PM
Has nobody read this?

In stock form, the 3T40/TH125C is more durable than the 4T40E, infact, it's probably the strongest transmission that came in the J-Body. The 3sp does start out slower than the 4sp, but has more support and more potential than the 4sp. Yes the TH125C is at a disadvantage, because it doesn't have the overdrive, so GM put a higher gear in it for economy, but that can be over come by swaping to a more appropriate gear. Yes, your gas milage will suffer, because you have to cruse at a higher rpm, but the durability us much higher. It does come behind a number of V6s, if that is any indication of the torque capabilities.

Monday, June 19, 2006 8:10 AM
read it.....disgreed with it......didn't want it.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 11:27 AM
Yeah, driving around in third gear all the time isn't what I had in mind. What is an Auto Trans/ Shift Plus? Honestly, everyone I know doesn't help me with these things because they figure an AT is a dead end. But all I want to do is boost the performance of my 4spd auto. How do you boos the line pressure?
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:21 PM
The Auto trans/ B&M Shift plus boost the line pressure. They are a module that you connect between the Ecm and tranny.

The Autotrans is/was plug and play. It's out of business now because they were too expensive. They were adjustable. You would just disconnect the tranny plug and plug the Autotrans between the plug and the tranny.

The B&M shift plut is the same kind of module. It has 2 setting. 1 - off - 2 . You have to connect 2 wire to the trans harness. Really easy to do. They are still for sale. Check carcustoms.net for one. They run around 30-40$

I got one and it's perfect. Other than that you have to change parts in the tranny.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 3:03 PM
purplezed wrote:read it.....disgreed with it......didn't want it.

Was that with the article that Rob was talking about, or my thread?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search