1996 automatic problems - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1996 automatic problems
Monday, June 12, 2006 6:23 PM
So guys i need help here, i have a 96 sunfire 2.2 with the 3 speed auto. My first problem is all i have is 2nd gear and drive, when i come to a stop and take off again it takes off in second gear. it also has no reverse. if you put it in reverse and hit the gas all it does is rev up. i pulled the trany pan and it had what looked like little peices of bearing on the magnet. does anyone have any ideas of whats wrong, the transmission only has 87,000 on it and its been well taken care of.

1996 Pontiac Sunfire 2 door 2.2 Automatic. 83,000 miles
Custom cold air intake, RK sport upper and lower motor mounts, Accel 300+ thundersport wires, AC rapid fire plugs, Pacesetter header, Factory cat, Custom 2 1/4" catback with cherrybomb turbo muffler..... more mods to come

Re: 1996 automatic problems
Monday, June 12, 2006 6:37 PM
Did 1st and reverse start slipping then just die out?, If so, sounds like your Low & Reverse Clutch is gone.

If it just stoped working, then some thing went wrong in your valve body. Being as you found a bearing peices in your pan, the valve bearing may have broken apart, which is rare, but not impossible.

Sorry, time for a rebuild of atleast the valve body, if not the whole transmission.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search