Power Shifting - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Power Shifting
Tuesday, June 06, 2006 3:16 PM
What does it hurt. I know power shifting is when you dont let off the gas at all just shift as fast as possible. is it harder on the clutch or what? I imagine it is harder on the clutch than normal but what does it hurt? i dont do it every single time or anything but i didnt do it at the drag strip and probably will next time. it seems like it is quicker than just semi powershifting by letting off the gas.

Re: Power Shifting
Tuesday, June 06, 2006 6:45 PM
theres a kid around here with a 2.0 dodge neon with look alike srt4 exhaust that powershifts his auto, its hilarious

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 8:05 PM
anyone?

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 8:40 PM
i don't think that constitutes as powershifting if it is an auto. I'm not sure what all it hurts though
Thursday, June 08, 2006 3:16 PM
You just have a better chance of grinding gears.

Thursday, June 08, 2006 3:20 PM
I've honestly never tried powershifting.... and if it wasn't pouring rain out today, I'd try it. Maybe tomorrow

Thursday, June 08, 2006 5:30 PM
i know youll prolly think this is stupid, but when you manualy upshift in an auto there is a big diffrence then just putting it into drive. if you get a chance to drive an auto with atleast 1st, 2nd, maybe even 3rd give it a try, i almost always do it myself, unless im in tons of traffic and i just dont feel like it, im a lazy @!#$ sometimes

Thursday, June 08, 2006 5:37 PM
if what you are referring to is just rapidly pushing in the clutch with your foot still on wide open throttle, shift, then let clutch out. it would be hard on a stock clutch, and probably your axles. your rev limiter might pose a problem if its not fast enough though, may even cut fuel, i dont think i'd want to try it, unless it was really wet out lol. i think the dry pavement would break my axle or something.
Thursday, June 08, 2006 9:00 PM
Darren Reynolds wrote:i know youll prolly think this is stupid, but when you manualy upshift in an auto there is a big diffrence then just putting it into drive. if you get a chance to drive an auto with atleast 1st, 2nd, maybe even 3rd give it a try, i almost always do it myself, unless im in tons of traffic and i just dont feel like it, im a lazy @!#$ sometimes

If you have one of the electronic hacks... ie. Autotrans Interceptor or B&M Shiftplus.... you can increase the line pressure and will never have to manually shift again.... of course, doesn't work on a 3 speed auto... just the 4 speed. And it's called an "automatic" for a reason

Friday, June 09, 2006 12:09 PM
I power shift my 2000 Z24 sometimes and it's great fun, you won't hurt anything, it just wears the clutch out faster. I was try to kill the last little bit of life from the clutch that was in my car when I got it in January, so now I can put in my SPEC aluminum fw & stage II clutch along with my Team Green LSD and poly trans mounts.

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.
Friday, June 09, 2006 2:38 PM
yeah well the only thing automatic in my car is the trans, manual mirrors, windows, locks, the whole deal, and i wish it was a manual so until i can afford a swap or until i get a manual trans car, imma shift my auto.

Dale if you were trying to kill it let me drive it

Friday, June 09, 2006 11:26 PM
Ok, i have the 5spd, not an auto. im good enough at shifting not to hit the limiter, i shift fast enough, i was just curious. like i said i dont do it often enough to worry but i just wanted to see.

Saturday, June 10, 2006 12:26 AM
If you have the 4 speed auto it won't hurt it as it cuts the timing during the shift. The trans will increase the line pressure. Really the clutch packs in the car don't wear too much as for the first part of the shift they still have oil on them.

As for the manual, I have never heard of anyone actually breaking an axle in a jbody. With RWD you will often break the weld in a driveshaft. You do have potienal of wearing out the frictional surface of the sycnros faster and wearing down the clutch.

--------------
Yea, ummmm. I used to have a J-body...
Saturday, June 10, 2006 4:12 AM
Useless on N/A cars. With boost it's different because you want the turbo/sc to still make boost when you get to the next gear. On an N/A car, all you do is waste gas. The engine will still end up at the sae rpm and it won't change anything.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Saturday, June 10, 2006 11:11 AM
Well, I tried it!! I guess this is why "syncros" exist, eh? My car definitely did not like me doing it.... 1 to 2, gears grind HARD... when it did grab, it did a hell of a rolling burnout... but I highly doubt I will be doing that one again. These tires just plain suck

In the rain, it seemed happier.... but no traction whatsoever.

Saturday, June 10, 2006 6:46 PM
Mfk-223 wrote:Useless on N/A cars. With boost it's different because you want the turbo/sc to still make boost when you get to the next gear. On an N/A car, all you do is waste gas. The engine will still end up at the sae rpm and it won't change anything.

DING DING DING!!!! We have a winner!

Sunday, June 11, 2006 2:06 PM
well the truth Is that it does wear away on the cv's tires clutch trans and motor mounts and I've got those worn out items to prove it as for 1-2 on a manual quick shift like normal 2-3 you can powershift it will help( not just for turbo cars)

to do it 1-2 is too much tire spin (and for many, hop) and engine rocking
and you will gain time. 3-4 is just wasting clutch

and for you auto's this will wear down, and over heat ur tranny. when you take the car to have the tranny fluid changed they will ask you if you shift by manaully puttin it into each number for the gear. yes it will cut the shift time shorter and you'll get a harder shift but in your fluid you'll find metal shavings and other materials. what exactly it wears i don't know but this is the out come of my other car. replaced that tranny twice
I don't mean to step on anyone's toes
hope I got all of the q's
Monday, June 12, 2006 12:30 PM
I power shift my 2001 Z. TO say it does not make a difference on a N/A is just in correct. It does help keep the RPM's up. More so if you have a lightened flywheel. I usually do not hold full throttle on the 1-2 shift (about half throttle) to keep from bouncing so many times off the rev limiter. 2-3 and 3-4 I hold full throttle. Yes this can wear your clutch, and put strain on your tranny. It can wear synchros. As for wearing mounts and tires and axles, well no more than racing to begin with.

FU Tuning

Monday, June 12, 2006 10:22 PM
i never let my foot off the gas when drag racing. Ive driven the t5, t56, getrag. if you are good at shifting it wont grind and your enigne should only increse like 50 rpms between shifts.

2004 Cavalier, 2.2L Ecotec
1965 El Camino, 396 BBC, 14:1, 800 BHP
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 7:37 PM
Demonchild wrote:i never let my foot off the gas when drag racing. Ive driven the t5, t56, getrag. if you are good at shifting it wont grind and your enigne should only increse like 50 rpms between shifts.

Thats what is happeneing to me, i shift fast enough and dont grind gears at all and it seems like it takes less time for me to shift therefore less time wasted trying to shift.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:45 PM
useless unless u want to peg the @!#$ out of ur rev limiter..... if u do powershift "fast enough" and dont hit the rev limiter that means that ur shifting too early and not even gettin to the rpm which produces most hp, so ur losing power.....even if the power shifting worked it still all boils down to how fast ur hand is.... IF U THINK IT HELPS U GAIN .000005 SECONDS, THEN GO AHEAD, BUT IS THE DAMAGE U CAUSE BY DOING IT WORTH IT????

IF I EVER DID THIS I DEFINATELY WOULDNT HOLD THE THROTTLE TO THE FLOOR WHILE THE CLUTCH IS DISENGAGED....MAYBE 50% THROTTLE(EVEN THOUGH IT DOES NOTHING)

daily: 99 civic Si
deceased: 95 cavy '00 LD9 auto swap (vandalized)

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:47 PM
i dont peg the $#$% out of the rev limiter, and i do shift fast enough, because once you get to redline the timing retards so you lose power.

Im thinking its keeping the power up since i chirp the tires powershifting into 3rd. compared to quick shifting i dont chirp them. It keeps the power up to me it seems and if it gets me down the track faster.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:04 AM
Vincent Morris wrote:i dont peg the $#$% out of the rev limiter, and i do shift fast enough, because once you get to redline the timing retards so you lose power.

Im thinking its keeping the power up since i chirp the tires powershifting into 3rd. compared to quick shifting i dont chirp them. It keeps the power up to me it seems and if it gets me down the track faster.

It show right there that you don't understand how it works.

The timming is not retarded on top. Yes it may go down a degree in the last 1000 rpm but it's not going down 20 degrees. Your power is mostly controlled by the cam/s.

If you think it keep the power, you're wrong. The powerband is NOT variable when the engine is running. So even if you step on the gas all you want when you shift, the engine WILL still end up at the same rpm witch means YOU WILL STILL HAVE THE SAME POWER. The engine is not making power when it's running free.

Your tire may "chirp" when you shift to third gear but it's because they are POS. It will only do it because the engine will make them turn faster than the car is going.

On a boosted car it WILL keep the power becaus the boost modify the powerband but not in N/A term.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:07 AM
Also I'd like to add that your car is going to certain speed when you shift. So even if you "keep the rpm high", once you let off the clutch, the engine will go with the car speed. "keeping the rpm high" doesn't make the car keep his speed when you shift so it's USELESS TO POWERSHIFT.

Unless you can proove me that 1-2hp IN A SHIFT make a difference then you don't have any proof that it help.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:36 PM
Quote:

The timming is not retarded on top. Yes it may go down a degree in the last 1000 rpm but it's not going down 20 degrees. Your power is mostly controlled by the cam/s.

It has been proven with HPTuners some ECU's have power pulled in the very high RPM's with timing. I think they called it s 2 stage rev limiter or something like that. Maybe a more technical term.

Quote:

Also I'd like to add that your car is going to certain speed when you shift. So even if you "keep the rpm high", once you let off the clutch, the engine will go with the car speed. "keeping the rpm high" doesn't make the car keep his speed when you shift so it's USELESS TO POWERSHIFT

I will agree with you the engine is going to go to the RPM that is correct for the car speed. What I see in power shifting, and have learned from hot rodders as well. If you are not quick enough at shifting the RPM's can fall below the correct RPM for the car speed. So that mean the car speed has to bring the engine up to the correct RPM. This can take away a little from the pull, run etc... You are just ensuring the RPM's do not fall below. Having them higher is better than below in racing. Again with a lightened flywheel this would be more of a issue than with a stock one. I would also agree people should be able to learnt o shift fast enough to get the RPM's above that point. I know I can.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search