Spec stage 3 just in - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Spec stage 3 just in
Friday, April 28, 2006 1:00 AM
hi, tonight me and my buddies just put in my stage 3 spec in my 99 2.4, and wow let me tell u the difference is awesome, it grabs so fast. I just have a few questions to ask and if anyone can answer them it would be great. Now when im shifting in the lower Rpms it vibrates alittle, im pretty sure thats just caust its a stage 3 so its not ganna shift smooth exactly like our stock ones but please correct me if im wrong. also ive noticed that yes my new spec 3 clutch kit, when i press the clutch its actually easier to press it than my stock one, my stock clutch seemed like i had to press alittle harder. is that right cause i would have figured that it would be alittle harder to press my spec then the stock. but other than those 2 questions, im impressed and i think everyone should get one cause wow its great.

Re: Spec stage 3 just in
Friday, April 28, 2006 1:08 AM
had mine done almost a week ago. yea its gonna be lighter then stock feeling and your right it got more clamp force on the flywheel so its gonna transfer vibs a lil more especially if you got any poly mounts put in with it

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643
boost will be soon for me....
Friday, April 28, 2006 1:39 AM
does urs engage and disengage pretty close to the floor? cause it almost seems like its gatta be all the way to the floor for me to shift cause a couple times i grinded but like barely, not much just wanna make sure sh$! it alright ya know
Friday, April 28, 2006 9:50 AM
?
Monday, May 01, 2006 7:41 PM
I've got a stage 2 and it grabs about half way up from the floor...But I have the same vibes as you are getting. That's perfectly normal.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Monday, May 01, 2006 8:23 PM
^ i hope mine grabs half way, ive seen many people have it grab way low, near the floor

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Monday, May 01, 2006 9:22 PM
Yea i get the vibes also, but mine grabs almost at the top. I like it up there, makes for some quick shifts. Hope you enjoy it, definitely fun.
Monday, May 01, 2006 11:56 PM
i have the mounts for the engine, and now the mounts for the tranny... what should i be expecting as far as vibes? the ones u guys describe sound bad but sometimes i think people over exagerate. i didnt find the engine mounts to be so bad.

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 6:18 AM
I've got the upper and lower mounts also, and after some time, you don't even feel any vibrations. The vibes from the clutch is most noticeable when you are in stop and go traffic, sometimes not fully letting off the clutch pedal because the car in front of you stopped to soon. Other than that, get that thing broken in and let her rip, definitely more fun to drive now.
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 2:58 AM
mine grabs higher then stock. still getting used to that

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643
boost will be soon for me....
Sunday, June 03, 2007 8:30 PM
OK so I just put in my spec stage 3 and these are the list of issues I have.

Mine clutch doesn't grab until the very top of letting the clutch out.
It also slips when I build boost. If it slips badly it chatters like a mo fo.

I am also leaking a bunch of tranny fluid out of the seals on the half shafts I think. It only leaks when the wheels are in motion???

Car is a 04 cavi. So eco with F23 getrag. Yes I did also put in the poly tranny mounts. Did not resurface the flywheel or replace it. Oh and I have hahn stage 2 @ 10psi w/ no tune just the BEGI FMU. Not that it has anything to do with the tranny.

All help is appreciated.

Darryn

2004 Cavalier coupe, 5 speed, White
GO
Hahn Stage 2, Eagle rods, Wiseco 8.9, SS Valves, Dual valve springs, valve job, Ti seats and retainers
spec stage 3, Fidanza 7.5lb flywheel, Short Shifter
Slotted and dimpled rotors, EBC green stuff
SHOW
VIS EVO CF hood, KOBE KAM 5 17", Nexxen N3000, Ebay Black tails and filler, 5% tint
Gold line springs, Tokiko D-spec struts
ELECTRONICS
Kenwood in-dash DVD and Navigation, single Kicker CompVR
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2974835

Sunday, June 03, 2007 8:51 PM
Darryn DiSanto wrote:OK so I just put in my spec stage 3 and these are the list of issues I have.

Mine clutch doesn't grab until the very top of letting the clutch out.
It also slips when I build boost. If it slips badly it chatters like a mo fo.

I am also leaking a bunch of tranny fluid out of the seals on the half shafts I think. It only leaks when the wheels are in motion???

Car is a 04 cavi. So eco with F23 getrag. Yes I did also put in the poly tranny mounts. Did not resurface the flywheel or replace it. Oh and I have hahn stage 2 @ 10psi w/ no tune just the BEGI FMU. Not that it has anything to do with the tranny.

All help is appreciated.

Darryn

ALSO what it the best fluid to put b? what is the name of the royal purple that is for are tranny? The parts place said the tranny calls for dextronIII ATF?WTF??

Darryn

GO
Hahn Stage 2, Eagle rods, Wiseco 8.9, SS Valves, Dual valve springs, valve job, Ti seats and retainers
SHOW
VIS EVO CF hood, KOBE KAM 5 17", Nexxen N3000, Ebay Black tails and filler, 5% tint
ELECTRONICS
Monday, June 04, 2007 5:46 AM
Ok a new clutch (Spec) should be grabbing at the top of the pedal. I barely have to push mine in to shift. That is normal. I do not get in vibes in shfting, but I think that is because of my style of shifting. Vibes usually mean a little bit of chatter, which can be because of how you shift, or release the clutch.

Darryn, if you did not resurface your flywheel, or replace it that was just stupid!! That is why your clutch is slipping. It is a old surface on the flywheel and a new surface on the clutch. YOu are going to jacked that clutch disc up. It will get glazed. Stop driving it now!!

FU Tuning

Monday, June 04, 2007 9:48 AM
^ + 1

And, on top of all that, YOU SHOULD BE BREAKING THE CLUTCH IN, not installing it then getting it in to high RPM's. Thats the quickest way to destroy a clutch. Everything you've done pretty much spells replacement, very expensive mistake.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, June 04, 2007 3:51 PM
So if I dont drive it any more and replace the flywheel then I should be in good shape?? I only drove it for 15 miles... No hard launches or hard shifts. So I am going to assume that an expensive performance clutch would not die that quickly.

What about the leaking half shafts... I purchased the new seals but I am not going to replace them until I have my flywheel too.

GO
SHOW
ELECTRONICS
Monday, June 04, 2007 4:40 PM
If you got into boost you may have glazed it, pulling it out will tell.

Monday, June 04, 2007 4:41 PM
Yes get the flywheel resurfaced, or get a aftermarket one. It cost about $30-$40 to get the stock flywheel resurfaced and about 30 minutes for the shop to do it. YOu can get the seals at autozone. I'm not saying you will be fine but if you only have 15 miles yoou should, but you never know.

FU Tuning

Monday, June 04, 2007 5:13 PM
gosh I hope so... if not that would be a $400 mistake...

What does a glazed clutch look like? Like the old one? Shiny and flat? No more bumps and such?

GO
SHOW
ELECTRONICS
Monday, June 04, 2007 5:23 PM
You would see the burn marks on the disc and smooth, glazed area's on the friction surface.

Monday, June 04, 2007 6:48 PM
Thank you guys... I will update next week as long as I get the work all done next weekend. GM parts direct takes for ever with the shipping so who knows if I will get the flywheel in time.

Darryn

GO
SHOW
ELECTRONICS
Wednesday, June 06, 2007 7:20 PM
Ok...

Looks like it wasn't the drive shaft seals leaking. I looks like it is coming from inside the case... the flywheel hole in the bottom... which would also explain the slipping clutch. Can't grab so good if the clutch is soaked with ATF fluid. So what would cause this leak from inside the bell housing.

Thanks.

Darryn

GO
SHOW
ELECTRONICS

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 7:36 PM
The fluid side of the tranny and the bell housing area of the clutch and FW are 2 different areas of the trans and should be sealed.

My SPEC always grabbed near the top, so to disengage only took a flick of my ankle. Also the pedal well get harder to push over time during the break in. Mine was very loose until nearly 1500 miles after the swap.

Like others have said not resurfacing the FW is the biggest no no. Because of the bronze synchro's GM recommends a special fluid called Synchromesh. Available at the dealer for about $17/qt and you need 2 qts I think. I have seen Penzoil Synchromesh at AutoZone before, but it seems hard to find.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 7:42 PM
Sealed by what? I need to replace that part I believe. It really looks like it is leaking from inside the bell housing or it looks like it is coming from the top and leaking all the way down and getting every where. It only leaks at higher speeds and tranny temps.

Darryn

GO
SHOW
ELECTRONICS
Thursday, June 07, 2007 6:12 AM
FstCavZ24 (what is to come) wrote:The fluid side of the tranny and the bell housing area of the clutch and FW are 2 different areas of the trans and should be sealed.

My SPEC always grabbed near the top, so to disengage only took a flick of my ankle. Also the pedal well get harder to push over time during the break in. Mine was very loose until nearly 1500 miles after the swap.

Like others have said not resurfacing the FW is the biggest no no. Because of the bronze synchro's GM recommends a special fluid called Synchromesh. Available at the dealer for about $17/qt and you need 2 qts I think. I have seen Penzoil Synchromesh at AutoZone before, but it seems hard to find.

He has a getrag it does not take synchromesh, it takes ATF.

As for the fluid leak, are you 100% sure it is tranny fluid? FLuid coming from where you are stating sounds more like brake fluid (meaning leaky TOB/slave). There is a seal on the inside of the bellhousing that could leak. YOu need to pull the tranny and see for sure.

FU Tuning

Thursday, June 07, 2007 2:12 PM
Ok.. I will be pulling it back out this weekend. I am 100% sure its tranny fluid... It is RED and so is the mobil 1 that I put in. The break fluid that i put in is clear.

I think it is leaking from where the input shaft goes into the gear area. If that is the case it can be 2 things right... either the seal there got dinged, bent, squashed OR the input shaft itself got torqued, bent, gouged when I pulled out or put back in the tranny.

I am having trouble finding part numbers to replace that seal can I get some help with that?

Thanks

Darryn.

GO
SHOW
ELECTRONICS
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search