Tranny Problems with the 4T40E - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tranny Problems with the 4T40E
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 5:11 PM
Hey everyone, brand new to this site and from what I've seen there are some knowledgable guys hanging around here.
Latly I've been having trouble with my transmission. I've got a 4T40E tranny and it almost seems as though the torque converter clutch is sticking. Unfortunately I don't know much about transmissions. The problem is as follows: Upon decelleration the TCC seems to grab then let go then grab and let go, it doesn't cause any real jarring to the vehicle but you definatly notice the sound in the exhaust and on the tachometer. This usually happens after coming off the highway or coming to stop sign. There is no real rhyme or reason to the problem, it happens when it wants to. I just changed the tranny fluid and filter, no change there (Performance shop in my area told me to try that first)
Short of that I'm not sure what other information I should give. Google doesn't yield much info on this problem. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

Re: Tranny Problems with the 4T40E
Thursday, March 30, 2006 10:24 AM
Torque Converter Lock Solinoid! Or however that is spelt.
Thursday, March 30, 2006 10:39 AM
I have come to the realization that our 4t40E trannys suck. My mom got my Z in 96 and i started driving it when i was 16, im 19 now. We all know how the typical mom drives and the tranny was weird when she gave it to me. I have some problems with mine like it wont grab a gear sometimes when i shift it from park, also if im going through a tight left hand turn the tranny will slip out of gear until the wheel straightens out. Just be glad all yours might be is a solenoid. Just take care of that tranny...

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan
Thursday, March 30, 2006 11:31 AM
Yeah they definately aren't the best tranny's on the maket. Anyone have suggests for a new one?... if such a beast exists? If not how hard would a swap to a five speed be?
I've delved into it a little but can't really get a straight answer. The guy at the tranny shop told me I'd have to replace the whole harness, the ecm, and al ot ofother electricals.

Thanks for the help guys.
Thursday, March 30, 2006 2:25 PM
hey Ben i sent you an email, i went through 2 auto tranny's in 2 years man i feel your pain, best thing to do is get a used one with low miles and just baby the dam thing, even better thing to do is do the 5 speed swap i did it took 2 days with a couple friends and a 30pack (probably why it took so long) and in the end it will be worth it with the options of upgrading your clutch, short shifters, etc. check your email get back to me, good luck
Thursday, March 30, 2006 3:39 PM
GM Guy,

Hey, sorry I only got your one e-mail (from jbo) could you rsend the first one?
If you don't mind what all am I looking at to do the tranny swap? Am i gonna need a crap load of stuff for it? (IE New ecm, harness, etc)

thanks for the help and advise
Thursday, March 30, 2006 8:51 PM
hey my computer is from the stone ages man and it will literally take 5 minutes just to load the dand page so if you want i have an add in the classifieds with basically everything you need to do the swap and price really just depends on the quality and condition of the parts you would like.
Thursday, March 30, 2006 9:11 PM
since i cant get into my dang email for the swap what is included is tranny (under warranttee), cv joints, standard wiring harness, standard computer, gauge cluster, manual center console with shifter, tranny mounts, shift cables, and clutch pedal. any other minor stuff you can either request or just pick up on your own (alot more time saving) your looking at $1,000 to $1,400 depending on quality unless you just want to swap out your auto and save time, well send me an email if interested and ill check it in the morning. good luck
Thursday, March 30, 2006 9:25 PM
GM Guy: Thanks a bunch for the help. To be honest I'm gonna have to get back you on that one. Taking my girlfriend out to BC tomorow to visit some friends and family. Got 2 weeks vacation from the office and I'm not sure how money crazy the lady is going to go haha. So I'll get back to you when I get back! With any luck I'll come home with a few hundred bucks left in the old account. But I am definately interested in swapping out my tranny for a standard and I will definately be doing it sometime before june. Just a matter of time now. Thanks for the info again and I'll be in touch.
Friday, March 31, 2006 1:50 AM
yeah man i know how that goes just let me know the auto to manual swaps will always be around so enjoy your trip and just send me a message when your ready, later.
Friday, March 31, 2006 3:27 PM
Boardorgohome wrote:I have some problems with mine like it wont grab a gear sometimes when i shift it from park, also if im going through a tight left hand turn the tranny will slip out of gear until the wheel straightens out. Just be glad all yours might be is a solenoid. Just take care of that tranny...

Mine was doing the same thing recently. I added more flud to it and it stopped slipping out of gear and it grabs almost instantly when I shift out of park. I was on the highway accelerating on a left turning ramp and as the turn got tighter it just started to free rev until it straightened out and then it grabbed fine. I checked the fluid and it was up to the check plug so according to that it was full. I put in 2 or 3 more qts. and now its perfect.

I'd try to add 2 qts. and see if it makes a difference.

Scott
2002 Audi S4, black
1996 Z24 auto, red

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search