Shifter Problems-Help!! Needed ASAP - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Shifter Problems-Help!! Needed ASAP
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 6:06 PM
Wassup all, i have been browsing the forums for bout 2 years now. This is my first post, well anyways my car has been sitting for bout 3-5 months sumwhere in that timeframe lost track. Well i get it started again 2day, put it in thru the gears to make sure they are working, they are good, so i leave to take it for a spin.

I get out on the main road to exit onto the highway and shift from first to second and feel sumtin odd, my car is stuck in second gear but my shifter moves freely foward and back, i pull back home in second gear thanks god i didnt get any further truthfully, rip apart the interior around the shifter follow the cables thru the firewall and to the tranny and everything seems perfectly fine and connected.

But from what i think, i believe its the shifter cables that have given up on me at 110k on my 97 cavy z24, im just really asking and double checking if i am right? please get back to me asap i need to get this done. sorry for the long post

o and where could i order them if that is it so i dont have to go the stealership

Re: Shifter Problems-Help!! Needed ASAP
Thursday, March 30, 2006 1:37 AM
I believe the parts are dealer only items.

It's possible for them to become stretched. More cases then not, the cables bind, and dont slide like they should. Pull the 2 ends off the transmisson, and have some one move the shifter around..... make sure they move freely

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Thursday, March 30, 2006 2:19 AM
thanks man, ill do that first thing in the morning
Friday, March 31, 2006 10:37 AM
i had the same exact problem... went to rip it into 2nd gear, and get it in there but then the shifter just flops around. one of my cables had frayed at the tranny end.

if you go to the dealer get ready to take it in the ass......for a set ( witch is the only way they are sold) the 96-99 2.4L cabels are $150. I looked in every junkyard i could find, and couldnt find any. most places just cut them to get engines out.

so i would say look around for some, before you go buy them

Guess how much we owe New Orleans..........nothing
Saturday, April 01, 2006 2:47 AM
right on man, yea i know i pulled them out and one of them is a gonner and ill be getting a hookup b/c a friend of mine works for chevrolet and ill be going down there to get the cables 2morow or the next day. thanks everyone for your help. see ya round
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search