Pulling the tranny, how many bolts?? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pulling the tranny, how many bolts??
Monday, March 27, 2006 8:42 PM
I`m in the middle of pulling the tranny out of a 99 sunfire gt, it is the 5 speed i need to know how many bolts hold it to the engine. Also any tips on actually getting the damn thing out I have alot of the car ripped apart right now as it is going to the junk yard soon. I plan on using the tranny on a 98 z24. Also is there a place to drain tranny fluid? or do i leave that alone?

Re: Pulling the tranny, how many bolts??
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 5:02 AM
I think it's 7 bolts and one nut that hold the tranny to the bell housing. You will have to drain the tranny or you will get a synchromesh bath when you pull the axles out. Drain plug is located on the drivers side bottom of the tranny case. Pulling the tranny out is a tight fit between the subframe and front tranny mount. If the car is going to the junk yard i would recommend cutting some of the subframe off with a torch if you have access to one.
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 7:34 AM
I already pulled the axles out before doing that a bit of a gooey mess but ah well nothing serious. I dont have access to a torch so im going to have to struggle and get this thing out. Ive already got 4 bolts out but am having trouble getting to a few of the 18mm ones, my cordless impact doesnt have the torque and sockets seem to be pretty tough to use, I know im working with limited tools on this but im pretty close now. Would it be much easier with the engine mounts dropped, well atleast the top one?

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 12:34 PM
1/2" sockets, breaker bar, and a pipe to put on the bar if necessary. Should be all you need.
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 3:55 PM
its a little easier with the lower engine mount out

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search