Jbodyperformance axels - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Jbodyperformance axels
Monday, March 27, 2006 9:19 PM
Im ordering the spec stage 2+ clutch, fidanza flywheel, tranny mounts, and a few other goodies not tranny related and im now looking at axels. Im prety sure mines torn up, or something in that region so im doing an overhaul. Are they worth it? Is there another company to get them from? These seem expensive!

Stage 1

Stage 2

And on a side note, when rebuilding this.. what all is involved? What else should i be replacing? What do you think ill need to rebuild? ive got almost 90,000 miles and ive been to the track probably around 10-15 times, not counting my old days when i raced on the street.... =/

Im not planning to do it myself though since time is limited for me right now in the airforce and all the time i would have is on saturdays in the shop here on base. What kind of bill am i looking at for a rebuild and install of those parts? And how hard is it? could i sit down with a chiltons and figure it out? How many days? Etc.

for reference... Ive done things like my suspension but i gave up on the header (limited tools didnt help the subject).

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Re: Jbodyperformance axels
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 8:06 AM
I am almost possitive that the stage 2 are the level 2 axles from the drive shaft shop. Let us know we are a dealer of their products. They would be less, and you wouldnt have to pay shipping from canada.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 5:20 PM
The stock axles are fairly strong. I suggest getter rebuilt axles from any autoparts store. We sell remanufactured axles for $59 each.

You could probably do everything except for the trans if you don't have a lift. It should take 2-3 hours to replace a clutch on these cars.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 2:17 AM
Stock axle can take over 300hp easily. What kill them is drag slicks. If you run street tire all the time, don't even bother buying "bette" axles. stick to the stock one.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 9:05 AM
Looking at your profile you have nothing listed. I'm sure you have a few mods, but I assume you are all motor? If so then I would not pay the money for performance axles. Not until you really need them. My all motor Z runs 14.8's on drag radials and I probably have about 200-250 runs on the stock axles and clutch no issues. Yes you could have a bad CV joint, but they can be rebuilt, or just replace the axles with a factory replacement as previously mentioned. Unless you are pushing serious power I would not worry about. Your tranny is more likely to go than your axles.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 10:04 PM
my cvs are my problem im sure.. i seriously drove the car way to hard all the time.. so i have no doubt they are going. Anyways the mods, and axels, and everything im puting in isnt only to fix the car but to get the car ready for more performance modifications. I have an aem intake, pacesetter header, magnaflow full exhaust with cat... but im planning to do something serious, from turbo, to spray, to a new engine. I dont really know right now. So im not just doing it all to fix a problem, that would be a total waste =)

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Friday, March 31, 2006 3:35 PM
I personally don't like the spec clutches I've driven. They don't offer much feel and they grab very early. They are like an on/off clutch. Very rough on the drivetrain. I prefer the Centerforce Dual Frictions. If you can get one for your car I'd recommend that over the Spec clutch.

Spec clutches seem to work good for guys who race that want a super grabby clutch, but for a car you drive on the street the effort is a bit high. Maybe you'll like it, but I didn't like the car I drove that had the spec stage 2 clutch.

Scott
2002 Audi S4, black
1996 Z24 auto, red

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search